cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

user specific installation part

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
is there a possibility to build a msi file that contains files or registry keys that will be installed in every user profile.

my problem is that i have to register some reg keys in every profile. my hope is to build a msi package that installs this components at the next user login. is this possible? if yes how?

my next question is about wfp (windows file protection) how can i replace a protected file with an msi package?

thx for you help!
Roland
(3) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi Roland!

Replacing protected files by MSI is not a good idea. WFP is a feature to protect your windows installation! I recommend that you use the MS Service Packs and Hot Fixes to replace protected files.

I thing ISAS 3.5 automatically manages the installation of user registry settings and application data files. I repackaged Acrobat Reader 5.0.5 with Installation Monitoring. I converted the output file to MSI. Then I tested the package by installing on a new machine. And everything worked as expected! A user log's on and on first click to the program shortcut the HKCU Settings are applied from the MSI file.

Frank
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm working with ISAS 3.5. but how can i set / mark a file / registry key that has to be installed for every user?
I tried some things but without sucess.

thx
roland
Hi Roland,

Normally you would just set the ALLUSERS property to the appropriate value so that files are installed to the AllUsers folder. There are a few different values you can give this property. You can find documentation on this property and its values in the MSI help library. For registry keys you can either put them under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive in the registry editor or you can put them under the HKEY_USER_SELECTABLE hive. If placed under the HKEY_USER_SELECTABLE hive then MSI will either put the keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE depending on if the installation is per-user or per-machine. The ALLUSERS property will determine if the install is per-user or per-machine.