cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

run custom Action under system account

Hi all

I created a custom action within a msi package to add a domain user to the local "Administrators" group to complete the setup after deploying a msi package correctly. Is it possible to run explictly this custom action on a different user account with domain privileges?

if yes: how can i set this option

thanks for your help
(2) Replies
Not sure I can help much. This really depends on how the custom action was written. I'm not sure what you mean by "explicitely". Do you mean run the custom action twice or run it outside of the .msi package?
Deferred CA's with no-impersonation run as System. On Windows 2000 and greater, System uses the local computer account in ActiveDirectory for impersonation to access network resources.

The trick though, is how do you abstract something as specific as a computer account from your install to make it generic? Does your UI story have a dialog for the user to browse and select the account? If so, this context would have to have domain authentication and privs to browse objects in ActiveDirectory also. The deferred scenario has to be able to browse ( to know which object is being assigned ) and admin privs to actually make the assignment.