cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
hello everyone,

i am new to install shield and admin studio plz anybody can help me by telling me how to make a package of oracle client i tried alot using install shield but of no use then somebody on the forum told me about the admin studio, now plz giude me in detail that how i can make a package of oracle client using admin studio will it work fine plz help me its an urgent issue.
(7) Replies
I would suggest you get a demo copy of AdminStudio and try. I have repackaged one application that required Oracle client.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Are they any good instructions somewhere on how to do this?
Repackaging requires understanding in Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) technology, as well as significant amount of experiences. It is not something that can be mastered in a matter of weeks.

A word from our sponsor, Repackaging and Application Migration using AdminStudio will be beneficial in the long run.
and the oracle client is one of the more advanced packages to capture as well .

you need to modify the Oracle_Home registry keys so that it can detect all other versions of oracle which may be installed as well.

otherwise a captured version of oracle will toast any previously installed oracles.

therefore where you find instances of HOME0 and ID0 in your package you need to modify them to HOME[ORACLEID] and ID[ORACLEID] then create a CA which sets that value of ORACLEID based on what is on the machine already.

its quite tricky if you want to do it right. you will also need to populate the oracle.key file with similar entries.

:confused:
Installing the Oracle Client is not impossible, it can be done and InstallShield is the way to go.

My latest package is a Multiple version (8.05/8.17/9i) network install, for about 6000 customers.

If you are having specific problem post them here. "How to make a package of oracle client" is a little to vague for us to be much help.

Good luck. 🙂
True, True. I remember busting out laughing when I read some guy post here a couple months ago that he just got AdminStudio and now he wanted to try Office 2003 as his first install.

Seriously, depsite InstallShields attempts to offer repackaging as a seamless solution for Systems Administrators, repackaging is VERY difficult to do correctly. Basically every time someone throws you a new install to repackage you have to reverse engineer. The repackager is pretty good, but it only goes so far in capturing the "setup intent". It takes years of development work and writing installs to really understand deeply what's going on in someone elses installs. You need to be fluent in every aspecto f windows from Win32 API Base to registry, C programming, VB/VBScript, .Net, application isolation, OLE through ComPlus, so on and so on. You need to know pretty much every SDK Microsoft has out there. ODBC/JET/ADO/SQL. Oracle, Sybase, Informix, MFC, ATL, PowerBuidler, Delphi, JRE.... the list just goes on and on cause you never know what technology some install might use. Do you really want to be the guy that just runs the repackager and trusts that it did it right? Well it SEEMS to work. LOL [SIC]

Most of my installs normally go way beyond what the original install did into the territory of what the original install SHOULD have done. There are very few of us. Most guys do such a bad job that many people FEAR repackaging.
Could you please provide some detail please.....

jmcfadyen wrote:
and the oracle client is one of the more advanced packages to capture as well .

you need to modify the Oracle_Home registry keys so that it can detect all other versions of oracle which may be installed as well.

otherwise a captured version of oracle will toast any previously installed oracles.

therefore where you find instances of HOME0 and ID0 in your package you need to modify them to HOME[ORACLEID] and ID[ORACLEID] then create a CA which sets that value of ORACLEID based on what is on the machine already.

its quite tricky if you want to do it right. you will also need to populate the oracle.key file with similar entries.

:confused: