cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

enum reg error 1406

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am trying to convert a package into an MSI but when it installs it errors with a 1406 _Could not write value *NewlyCreated* to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_WINDRIVERS\0000\Control.

It would appear the admin account doesn't have sufficient rights to this area. Having looked in the registry it would appear that users have read acess and the system has full control.

The question is split into two parts:-
1. Whats the best way to get this to work? Adding reg perms to the install file or something else?

2. How does the legacy setup.exe get the keys in?

Clive
(3) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Seems it might have been my VMWare machine that was playing up. Made a new one and the device driver went straight in.

Clive
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Found what the problem is. If I install the program interactivly then it works. If i use msiexec /i program.msi /qb! it fails.

Any ideas?

Clive
The windows installer skips the actions from UISequence table if the user interface level is set to basic UI or no as is in your case when you executed msiexec /i program.msi /qb!. So look for actions in UISequnce table but not present in InstallExecuteSequence. Just a guess.