cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstalling an external program

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm having a problem using InstallShield along with a third party software. Since this program gets updated frequently and that I don't have time to repackage the whole program everytime. So I decided to use InstallShield to change settings in the program.

First, I start my InstallShield setup to choose the settings for my application.
Next, I launch the application setup to install the program.

When I try to uninstall the program, I do it via Add/Remove Programs. Having the On Maintenance activated, I have the three options (Modify, Repair, Remove).
Choosing Modify allow me to change the settings.
Choosing the Remove option, it uninstall my InstallShield setup programs. But I would like to launch the uninstall program for my external program.

How can I tell a Remove opiton from a Modify option in the OnMaintUIAfter because no matter what option I choose, it call the uninstall program.

Thanks for your help
(4) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Not sure this is possible. Choosing Remove from Add/Remove in control panel forces a silent uninstall of the application.
How about disabling the remove button from Add/Remove programs and using an uninstall shortuct instead, would this help ?

Jon
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm currently using the options from the InstallShield Maintenance program instead of the Add/Remove Programs. I've tried to actiated the Change and Remove programs from the Add/Remove programs panel, but I haven't succeed.
Have you tried creating a custom action (that only runs on Uninstall) to silently call your 3rd-party exe to uninstall itself.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I know how to create a custom action, but how do I make it run only on Uninstall?

By activating the OnMaintenance option, I tried to create a function in InstallScript to run when the product is uninstalled but it seems that the Maintenance option doesn't call the Uninstall function. It calls the OnMaintenace function in which there are no way to tell a Remove option from a Modify or a Repair option