cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing user settings

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
We install an application by user(ALLUSERS=empty). So when the first user logs on the computer the applications gets installed including all user specific files en user registry keys. How do I install the user specific files and registry keys for another user that logs on the computer(with no advertisement of the shortcut)?
(7) Replies
First, you should probably be using ALLUSERS=2 as this will assist in the issue.

Otherwise You will need to either populate HKEY_USER with all of your CU info and populate any CU files into the ALL USERS profile data dir.

Or you will need to initiate an AutoRepair of your components via a RunOnce or anything that on startup initiates the autorepair.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi Harley0226

I have tried to set ALLUSERS to 2 but the file didn't install to the PersonalFolder when I logged on as another user. The MSI doesn't have any published shortcuts or executables. I wonder how you trigger to install in this case the install for another user?

I understand the the method of repair. We use a in house developed tool to install applications. This tool separates machine and user installs. So when a user logs on and starts an application which already has been installed but not with the user registry keys or user files installed it will use the command-line option: /fup. But I'm just was wondering if Windows Installer could handle this without an external trigger from a user or another program.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
If you are using Windows XP then you can use the active setup feature.....See example below :-

New User Logon Custom Action XP

This registry key defines a custom action to be run for each user that logs onto the machine:

Example:
--------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\***Name***] (Name of app or custom action)
"StubPath"="msiexec /f {****InsertProductCode****} /qn" (kicks off a silent repair for the app for every new user that logs onto the machine)
"IsInstalled"=dword:00000001
"Version"="1,0,7"
"ComponentID"="***Name***" (Name of app or custom action)
@="Microsoft Office XP"

--------

This key was used for an app that could not self repair as the shortcut was not advertised, as the exe resided on a server and the app added an excel addin to the users profile directory. (I moved this file to the ALLUSERS profile).
@tusnee
If you want to install some software on a machine, you have the effective choice of all users or one user

If you want to install for all users then you set ALLUSERS=1 and you must pass validation

If your program has a shortcut then when the user clicks on the advertised shortcut, the missing keypaths in HKCU will initiate the user portion being installed. Does your application start from a shortcut?

@Harley0226
ALLUSERS=2 is only usefull when the package is being installed via GPO and it means "let the context decide

HKEY_USER will not work on an enterprise as it is incompatable with roaming profiles.

looeee
@ looeee

I was trying to assist tusnee's issue. I would not suggest my resolutions if the necessary details where provided. I am thankful that you have corrected me based on this lack of evidence.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hello.. I will be of no help with this situation. Currently, i am experiencing the same problem. I use ALLUSERS=1 for almost all of my installations. We have several in house application which use HKCU settings for server name configs, user toolbar configs and other various sort of configurations which have now been streamlined because of installshield. Can anyone possibly clarify on how I might have the application launched a second time via shortcut and enter the registry keys. In this case, i might have to use ALLUSERS=2 since i am in a Windows 2000 / XP environment where our users are not administrators.
Bryce

All you need to do is

• Make sure that your shortcut is advertised.
  • Make the component that installs things to the user profile have something in HKEY_CURRENT_USER as its keypath.
  • Install with ALLUSERS=1
  • Pass validation

When your other user clicks on the shortcut, Windows Installer will test all the keypaths. It will find the missing one in the user profile and repair the broken component, thereby installing your user's settings

looeee

p.s. sorry for my tone yesterday Harley0226, I was in a foul mood