cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make transform files

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm trying to build a transform file for one of my project.

Everything goes fine until I test the mst. I get the message "The Installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe."

Are there any ways to get rid of this dependance with setup.exe?

Thanks
(7) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I would like to know what tool you are using to create the transform file. In addition to this I would also like to know if the MSI package was created using InstallShield Developer or is it some third party MSI package? If you are using InstallShield Developer then is the MSI created using InstallShield Developer Standard project?

Here is some explanations to why you need setup.exe
To install an MSI package on your machine you need MSI engine. One reason why you should always use setup.exe to run your installation is that setup.exe checks for the existence of the MSI engine on your machine and if MSI engine is not present it will install it.
Once you have MSI engine then you don't need setup.exe to install the MSI package.
As fas as transform are concerned you can run the following command line to install the MSI + transform
msiexec /i /T
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
To get my MSI file, I get it either by using InstallShield Developper or by typing "setup /a" if the MSI is compressed inside the setup.exe file.

To create a transform, I use InstallShield Tuner. Everything works fine until I try to run my MSI package with the transform.

And no matter how I try, I can't use the MSI without the setup.exe file without getting the "The Installation cannot be run by directly launching the MSI package. You must run setup.exe."
message even if I run msiexec /i .

Is there any way for the MSI package to stop looking for the setup.exe file when the MSI engine is resent on the disk?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I would like to know if you the MSI package was created inhouse using InstallShield Developer or if the MSI package is a third-party MSI.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
It's a MSI package created by IS Developper
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Another question I will ask you is are you using InstallShield Developer to create a Standard MSI project or Basic MSI project?

Please check the following link for additional information.
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=ALL&articleid=Q107978&ISCS3AL=%3CATT:EMAIL_ID%3E
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm creating InstallScript MSI project
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
When you deploy the InstallScript based MSI project, setup.exe drives the installation of the MSI package. This article explains how to deploy the MSI package without using setup.exe

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q108166