cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to understand how to set a Destination Folder for Component Files

confused: Alert Newbie Question! This is your last chance to turn back if this scares you!

I’m learning to use AdminStudio 6, a frustrating experience so far. I’m trying to understand how to set a Destination Folder for Component Files. When I click the dropdown menu I get choices like: [AdminToolsFolder], [ALLUSERSPROFILE], [AppDataFolder], [CommonAppDataFolder], [CommonFiles64Folder], [CommonFilesFolder], [DesktopFolder], [PersonalFolder] etc... There’s a lot more but this is enough of a sample so you’ll know what I’m talking about. Some of these make sense to me IE [CommonAppDatafolder]; I know where this is on Windows 2000 and XP systems. But which of these properties corresponds to the “Documents and Settings” folder on Windows 2000 and XP systems?

If I do a search on the web I can find explanations for some of the properties but not a complete list. I know some of these don’t apply to all operating systems. Basically what I’m asking is this, is there a listing which will tell me which directories on which Operating Systems these properties correspond to? I hate sitting there trying to guess, so many seem redundant. I wish they had included these kinds of explanations in the dropdown menu. Perhaps it’s in their “help” file but I couldn’t find it, although I didn’t go on any crusades looking for it. Should I have to?
(2) Replies
Allow me to at least try and answer your question. I have included the description of the predefined MSI directory properties from the help system. You should refer to the InstallShield and/or MSI help for a description of each of these

Normally, you would never install any files into the 'Documents and Settings' folder. This folder contains sub-folders for the various user profiles on the system. For example: The FavoritesFolder should translate to the C:\Documents and Settings\[LogonUser]\Favorites folder. Most of your files will be installed to the 'ProgramFilesFolder'.

-------------------------------------
System Folder Properties

AdminToolsFolder: Full path to directory containing administrative tools for an individual user.
AppDataFolder: Full path to the Application Data folder for the current user.
CommonAppDataFolder: Full path to Application data for all users.
CommonFiles64Folder: Full path to the predefined 64-bit Common Files folder.
CommonFilesFolder: Full path to the Common Files folder for the current user.
DesktopFolder: Full path to the Desktop folder.
FavoritesFolder: Full path to the Favorites folder for the current user.
FontsFolder: Full path to the Fonts folder.
LocalAppDataFolder: Full path to directory that serves as a data repository for local (non-roaming) applications.
MyPicturesFolder: Full path to the MyPicturesFolder.
PersonalFolder: Full path to the Personal folder for the current user.
ProgramFiles64Folder: Full path of the predefined 64-bit Program Files folder.
ProgramFilesFolder: Full path of the predefined 32-bit Program Files folder.
ProgramMenuFolder: Full path to the Program Menu folder.
SendToFolder: Full path to the SendTo folder for the current user.
StartMenuFolder: Full path to the Start menu folder.
StartupFolder: Full path to the Startup folder.
System16Folder: Full path to folder for 16-bit system DLLs.
System64Folder: Full path to the predefined System64 folder.
SystemFolder: Full path to the System folder.
TempFolder: Full path to the Temp folder.
TemplateFolder: Full path to the Template folder for the current user.
WindowsFolder: Full path to the Windows folder.
WindowsVolume: The volume of the Windows folder.

Allen Saxton
AdminStudio Development
Thanks this is what I was looking for.