Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shorcut to a network connection

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi all,

I'm using installshield adminstudio and I have a package wich installs Ras - dial-up connections. This is working without a problem. I would like to place a shortcut, to a connection, on the users desktop. If you create a shortcut manually I see that the target is an ID like this {BAXXXX-XXXXX-...-XXXXXE}. Installtion monitoring or snapshot do pick up this shortcut.

Is there a way to add it thru the developer? I tried it by inserthing the shortcut as a file but then the icon gets lost..

Thks,

Z.
(4) Replies
I will take a stab at this one.

Create a Shortcut to a PreExisting file.
File name=.exe (Fake name)

Rename NewShortcut1
Advertised = No
Target=\\Whatevere\Whereever
IconFile=Pick a file
so on and so on.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi Pfeiffer,

If I understand you correct this wil create me a shorcut to a file on a network share. It is however to the connection itself I want the shortcut. I have attached a screenshot on what the result should be...

rgds,

Z.
Doh! Out of my league, on this on :eek:

If nobody comes up with a better way you could Send some keystrokes via a VBSscript but it would be sloppy. Just a thought.
I think you should do what you are doing but fix the icon problem. Copy the .lnk file manually then check the shortuct and icon tables in the msi. If the entry in there doesn't end in exe or ico the there will be a problem with the shortuct icon. Workaround? Rename it in the shortcut table to end with .exe and make sure this tallies in the icon table.