cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up SQL Database

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Anyone had any joy setting up a SQL database for admin studio. I create one using the new database feature. I can import msi's into the conflict database but when I try and import an os snapshot it Errors.
Everything works fine if I use a MDB database though?

Strange? Can anyoune help or suggest somethings to try?

Thanks
(6) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I will assume that your OS Snapshot importation terminates immediately. Based upon this assumption, I can explain the problem and a suitable work around.

One of the first tasks performed by the OS Snapshot importation code is to insert a record into the database which contains a date/time column. ConflictSolver formats dates using the user locale format, in your case day/month/year, while SQL Server defaults to a month/day/year format unless otherwise configured differently. These differing date formats mean that during the second half of the month incomprehensible dates are generated and the operation fails.

This problem has been fully corrected. Our next and free release of AdminStuido v5.0 'Value Pack 1' will contain the correction. In the interim, if you switch your date format on your working system to use month/day/year, then your OS Snapshot import should proceed without problems.

Allen Saxton
InstallShield AdminStudio Development
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Great thanks for the info. I'll give it a go! 😄 😄 😄
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Reading the answer below, I would assume the problem to be fixed in version 6 of AdminStudio. But it isn't. Just experienced problems importing an OS Snapshot, the import terminated immediatly. Change the date format to month/day/year, and it worked. Will this be fixed in the current version as well?

AllenSaxton wrote:
I will assume that your OS Snapshot importation terminates immediately. Based upon this assumption, I can explain the problem and a suitable work around.

One of the first tasks performed by the OS Snapshot importation code is to insert a record into the database which contains a date/time column. ConflictSolver formats dates using the user locale format, in your case day/month/year, while SQL Server defaults to a month/day/year format unless otherwise configured differently. These differing date formats mean that during the second half of the month incomprehensible dates are generated and the operation fails.

This problem has been fully corrected. Our next and free release of AdminStuido v5.0 'Value Pack 1' will contain the correction. In the interim, if you switch your date format on your working system to use month/day/year, then your OS Snapshot import should proceed without problems.

Allen Saxton
InstallShield AdminStudio Development
I would also have expected the problem to be fixed.

Can you tell me locale information from the Control Panel - Regional Settings? I would be interested in the value for the 'Short Date' field. We use this information to configure the SQL Server expectations for the date time format.

Allen Saxton
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
This is my short date format: "dd.MM.yyyy." This is default Norwegian short date.
Well! Darn! 🙂

You have identified a problem with AdminStudio v6.0. Very recently, we identified a date format problem in certain languages like Korean. We modified how we format and generate the date/time strings. You will experience a similar problem due in your case to the '.' delimiter in the date format.

The problem will be fixed in the next AdminStudio service pack or release. Until then, your switching to English format or modifying the format to use a '/' delimiter should fix the problem.

Allen