cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repackager Reboot

Hello - I am fairly new to the Admin Studio Suite. I have created several .msi packages using the Repackager in Admin Studio 5.5 and would like to have some of the packages automatically reboot after installation. How can I slipstream a reboot into the packages, or put a reboot into the packages while creating a new package? Thanks.
(6) Replies
You can insert ScheduleReboot action, or ForceReboot action; or setting REBOOT property, and REBOOTPROMPT property. For explanation on the actions and properties, please look up in MSDN.
Thank you for your reply. I've read the MSDN articles, but as I've said - I am very new to creating packages and don't know where to start to put the reboot actions or properties into my package.

I've already created my working .msi packages using InstallShield. Where in AdminStudio 5.5 would I go to modify these to put in the reboots? Would I open the .ism in DevStudio? Would I re-opn the existing .msi in the Repackager? Would I create a transform file in the Tuner? As you can see, I am a fairly newbie.

Once I go to the appropriate program, what would I do to begin? Thanks.
try opening the ism in DevStudio and do the necessary changes and build the MSI.
Words from our sponsors, will you be interested in taking any of the classes available?
Thanks for both of your replies. Yes, I would love to go to one of the classes. I will see if my company will pay for it.

As for my original question. I've toyes around and cannot get it to work. So I open my .ism in DevStudio. Go to Property Manager - there I find the table. There are columns for Name/Value. In name, I put ISSCHEDULEREBOOT? (Any underscores? I notice other names in there that start with IS have underscores after them) So now what would the value be for ISSCHEDULEREBOOT? Or is that the name and value? Or would the value be 1 or Yes?

So then say I have my Name and Value correct and have edited in the proper table (Property Manager within DevStudio in the .ism file). Now would I open the .ism in Repackager and re-build the .msi? Thanks.
Enter ISSCHEDULEREBOOT property under Name column in Property Manager view (aka Property table). The value under Value column can be anything other than 0 (zero). If you look at Sequences view, under Installation > Execute (aka InstallExecuteSequence table), you will find ScheduleReboot action with ISSCHEDULEREBOOT property in the Condition field.

You can build MSI from DevStudio IDE. You will not want to reopen IRP file with Repackager to rebuild ISM and MSI.

It will be very beneficial to take the classes and to understand fundamentals of MSI. For starters, you can stary by checking out Microsoft Platform SDK: Windows Installer.