cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg entries not working on some packages.

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
My company is in the process of rolling out Windows XP. We have active directory set up and are installing software via policies. I have spent the last month building MSI packages for this. We have hit one snag. Both my Winzip package and a terminal service client package are not installing registry keys in the HKEY Current User. When the package is installed as a policy, the registry keys are thrown in default user (as they should be) and the machine profile. Once the user logs in and tries to run Winzip, it asks to go through the setup again. There is nothing in the HKEY Current User registry for it. If I go into add/remove programs and use the repair function of the MSI, it fixes the registry and everything works great. The package also works great if you run the MSI manually. It seems to me that the policy thinks that the machine account is the Current User and goes from there. Is there something in the package that I am missing or is it in Active Directory/Policy?

A fast reply would be much appreciated, I would like to get this resolved before we hit full stride on the rollout.

Thanks ahead of time.
(6) Replies
You mentioned installing via group policy however you did not clarify if you're assigning or publishing the software package.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Originally posted by nicholas_ong
You mentioned installing via group policy however you did not clarify if you're assigning or publishing the software package.

we are assigning
The package that we have has several current user settings and yes we do assign it to the workstations. All users who logs onto the workstations and launches the application will receive an installation dialog.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
shouldn't the program use what is in the default user registry area to build the profile? I don't want the users to have to go through a winzip setup after each install. How the heck are you supposed to keep the winzip configs the same then? Winzip asks for setting up icons and everything again.
During your repackaging process, launch the application and set the defaults the way you want it, then finish capture. If you don't want to do a repackage, you can install your current package, launch the repackager and capture the defaults that you'll change. Take the registry changes and import them into your current package.
Winzip is a 16 bit setup and it uses short path names in the registry. Hence in order to handle this properly, the registry table has to be populated with shortnames instead of using the advertising tables.

We have solved this problem in AdminStudio 3.5. this product will be available soon.