cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with repackaging RealOne Player (Enterprise Desktop)

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hello everyone,
I'm newbie when it comes to AdminStudio so bare with me here,... for the past couple of days I have been trying to repackage RealOne Player, the Enterprise Desktop version (which is more or less the same as the free RealOne Player, but more lightweight). What I am trying to do with it is deploy it using group policy (assign to computers).

I have managed to create the MSI with no errors, but I did have 31 ICE33 warnings.

The player deploys fine and works when the user runs it, but it doesn't work with internet explorer, meaning when a user clicks on a .rm (real player file) link nothing happens. It should however open the player and play it.

If I log onto the workstation as an Administrator, run the player first and then try a .rm link, everything works fine. But only for the Administrator.

From what I have read up about ICE33 warnings, I belive they might be warning me about improper registration of file types for IE. I don't however have the slightest idea how to fix it or what to even check to see if it does register properly.

Could someone please point out to me what could posibly be wrong, becaouse I'm drawing a blank. 🙂
(4) Replies
If it works fine as an admin then it should be a permissions issue. Perhaps you don't have the rights required to access a particular part of the registry.

Some tools to troubleshoot this are regmon and filemon available as freeware from www.sysinternals.com. They monitor what happens when you try to launch your program and you can see when access is denied.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thank you DavidLock, I will try it that way, perhaps I can figure out why explorer knows the mime type but doesn't launch the program.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Just a quick follow up. It turns out it was an permission problem with a registry setting. Thanks for the assistance DavidLock. 🙂
Can you post what you did to get it working? Thanks.