cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identical keywords in INI files?

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am using AdminStudio 3.01 and am using Author. After repackaging an installer, I found that one of the INI files was not automatically added to the INI list. It turns out that the file has many, many lines with identical keywords under each section. Unfortunately, Author won't let me add identical keywords in the same section. Does anyone have a solution to this? Perhaps a script of some sort?

For now, I am just copying over an INI file and then changing the values for some keywords set by the installer. This, though, is unacceptable, as users may already have INI files setup that cannot be simply written over. I would just edit those files, but the new ones have tons of additional lines.

Help! This is starting to drive me crazy!

Thank you for any help.
(4) Replies
It does not make sense to have identical keywords under a section.

If you use Direct Editor, you may be able to avoid the behavior. However, MSI will not be able to create multiple instances of the same keyword in a section.

What you can do is to write a custom action to append those new additional, yet identical, keywords to the INI file.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Do you have any examples? Thanks.
Unfortunately, I don't have any working sample. Take a look at FileSystemObject object. Specifically, you will use TextStream object.
hi goorulz
i saw ur problems and found that we faced the same and it was different. We had to read different values from 2/3 INI files and then write it into an Existing INI file. so i m attaching the script we have deviced and used. Go through it and modify it accordingly.

let me know if u found the solution.

bye..........:)