cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pb. of right replication with adminStudio v5.5

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
When i try to change the rights on a folder, this change is made only on the 1st folder. But the rights are not replicated on all the sub-folders.
What should I do to have the rights applied on all the sub-directories with AdminStudio v5.5. ?

Thanks
(4) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
!
The permission is applied when folder is created. The Microsoft Windows Installer attempts to preserve the security on objects that already exist on the system.

It is probably that subfolder, with no explicit security descriptor set, hence receiving default security descriptor, is created before the parent folder, which is listed in LockPermissions table with explicit security descriptor, is created. As explained in Remarks section of LockPermissions table, MSI service will attempt to preserve the security on subfolder.

I would suggest verifying the order of folders, in CreateFolder table in the MSI, created. It appears that MSI will create folders in the order they appear in CreateFolder table. I am not aware of a way to control the order.
While you would intuitively guess that permissions assigned to a primary directory would propagate automatically to subdirectories, this is NOT the case. :confused: You either have to write elaborate scripts which can be found elsewhere or you must enumerate EVERY SINGLE FOLDER and its permissions. The suggestion in this thread to place the app's folders inthe Create Folder table in inheritance order seems rational and organized but the fact is ALL the folders have to be there for an Installshield MSI project to give the rights as expected and the order may matter as well.
Even completely specified, this capability, if that is the right word to use, is very squirrelly and unpredictable. 😞

Good luck with that... :mad:
to some degree by relegating all directories with special permissions tweaking requirements to the fringes/branch tips of your directory hierarchy, and taking the default permissions on folders created above there. 😛

It's all real annoying if you have to tweak throughout the hierarchy.