cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie w/ Admin Studio Questions

I'm running into problems trying to repackage PDR by Micromedex. When I create an .msi, I'm getting alot of

"Cannot create icon for shortcut 'PDR Drug Interactions' due to unknown file '[ProgramFilesFolder]MICROMEDEX\WinPDR32\DrugInt.ico\'"

As well as

"ISDEV : warning -6014: The shortcut "PDRDrugInteractions" for component "winpdr32.exe" is invalid because it does not reference an icon resource. Specify an icon file and icon index for this shortcut to resolve this issue."

warnings, 93 in all and the program won't run when installed.

I have no idea how to fix this, do I need to add in the path to the .ico files (they're where they should be)? I packaged the last version w/o any problems before but this one isn't playing nice.

ANY help would be most apreciated. I'm using ver 6 of AdminStudio.
(11) Replies
Hi Jack,

I would try opening the *.ism file with Editor and making a couple of changes:

--Going to the Icon table, and removing the trailing slash from the *.ico file reference
--Or, if this doesn't work, try just re-browsing to an icon file in each shortcut's properties.
Thanks for the suggestion Cary, unfortunately I'm not using a full version that has the Editor functionality. I work for a state agency that has a pretty limited budget.
In that case, you can try editing the *.inc file with a text editor. Just search for the string that's referenced in the error:

\DrugInt.ico\
Found the .inc file and the particular lines to edit. Where does this come in, BEFORE I run the repackager to create the .msi? Pardon my lack of knowledge, this is frustrating to learn! Try to devote time to study it and you get hit with 10 more trouble tickets! Also, apparently this was created w/ Admin Studio Pro and I get a prompt asking if I want to use the logging method because it's not necessary to repackage it, how does that work?
The Logging method basically trys to hook into the InstallScript Engine to pull in things like the feature structure.

Not quite the same as the typical repackaging process, since it goes through our proprietary compressed setups for information you don't get from the normal repackaging process.

In any case, modifying the *.inc file comes in before you try to build the *.msi package in Repackager.
Thanks for the info Cary, I'm driving the desk tomorrow and will have a chance to try it.
can someone help me to tell me what should I do step by step guide for this problem

3°) Keys still present after uninstall :
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RADAR\HeapLeakDetection\Diagnose
Applications\SonicWareBasicProtected.exe
Tried this again, Ran admin studio using "Installation Monitoring" option. Could'nt find the entry in the .inc file to change. Made copies, etc, ready to attack it from all sidesand, lo and behold, thething worked! I had to put a folder permission change into the GPO but that's it. What an app, does it possibly sense the user frustration level and start working when it reaches a certian level? 🙂

Thanks for your help!
I make the custom action to delete regkeys at desinstallation
hello,

I am a beginner in the packaging.
I would like to know the value when we put C:
by against I know that C: \ = [WindowsVolume]
and I would like to have all the correspondence variables of Windows installshield
Please see the "System Folder Properties" section of the MSI help topic "Property Reference" for a list of predefined properties, and perhaps generate an MSI log file on your system to see typical values.