cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advertised shortcust - Create via repack.

Hi,

how do i create advertised shortcuts when doing a repack in Adminstudio 2014?

I have set Use AdvertisedShortCuts=Yes in options.ini still repack tells me that A non-advertised shortcut must be created for xxxx.exe in folder [bla] Autorepair cannot be enabled for this shortcut. What i wrong with this product. I want WISE PS back !!!!! it just worked....

Maybe it's just my ignorance but since the switch to AdminStudio everything just got more difficult.

thks and Rgds
DC
(1) Reply
djubler wrote:
Hi,
how do i create advertised shortcuts when doing a repack in Adminstudio 2014?

I have set Use AdvertisedShortCuts=Yes in options.ini still repack tells me that A non-advertised shortcut must be created for xxxx.exe in folder [bla] Autorepair cannot be enabled for this shortcut. What i wrong with this product. I want WISE PS back !!!!! it just worked....

Maybe it's just my ignorance but since the switch to AdminStudio everything just got more difficult.

The "UseAdvertisedShortcuts=Y" option will unfortunately not help you in this situation.
Currently AdminStudio is, how shall we say, less than stellar at properly dealing with creating advertised shortcuts. Repackager will absolutely refuse to create an advertised shortcut in some situations. I am aware of no workaround for forcing it to always create advertised shortcuts, it's just something we'll have to hope gets improved in the next release. Be sure to lodge an official complaint with Flexera Software support. That way we have a better idea of the number of impacted customers and it can be assigned a higher priority.

Here is an example of what Repackager displays when it encounters a situation where it refuses to create an advertised shortcut:
Creating shortcuts and writing to the Shortcut table
A non-advertised shortcut must be created for Readme.txt in folder [CommonAppDataFolder]Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ExamDiff. Autorepair cannot be enabled for this shortcut.
A non-advertised shortcut must be created for whatsnew.txt in folder [CommonAppDataFolder]Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ExamDiff. Autorepair cannot be enabled for this shortcut.

Now once you've built the .ism project file, it is possible to change an unadvertised shortcut into an advertised shortcut. You can open InstallShield and do this from the Shortcuts view in the Installation Designer tab (Note: since advertised shortcuts require their target file to be the component key, this sometimes involves first making changes in the Components view).

Note: for anyone in support who may want to reproduce this, the example I used above is the free Prestosoft ExamDiff 1.9. Both its ReadMe.txt and WhatsNew.txt shortcuts exhibit this issue.

Thanks,
-Evan