cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My explorer.exe crashes when I do silent install using /qn

Hi all,

I have created a MSI to install my application. However, when I try to do a silent install using my MSI with /qn, I notice that all my desktop icons and windows start bar disappears during the installation. When this happens, I need to use the SAS sequence to start the task manager to launch a new explorer.exe to get my desktop back.

Does anybody have any idea why this happens and how to prevent this? I want to install my application in the background without users' notice.

Also, I noticed that when I try to install my application without using /qn (i.e. with full UI) a pop-up will usually appear to tell me that certain applications (e.g. explorer.exe) is holding to files that require to be update. Normally, I will click the ignore button to carry on with the installation. Is this related to the disappearance of my desktop icons during silent installation?

Thanks
(1) Reply
Was this MSI created from a capture of an installation using the repackager? It sounds like there are things within the MSI that probably should not be included in the MSI.