cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to package a .reg file?

trying to pakage a registry file with Flexnet Admin Studio 7.5, anyone have an idea about this? :confused:
(5) Replies
If you already have an .msi, simply create a .mst using Tuner for the .reg file. If you just want to create a plain simple .msi for the .reg file, create a new project, create a component and import the .reg settings (however only having a .reg setting in a msi file is not something I prefer, but still do-able).

Creating a component and importing the .reg settings is recommended to install the package (including .mst) for HKCU.
I am also interested in packaging a .reg file containing 4 keys. The instructions above are a bit short and I am new to FlexNet... Can someone please explain how to package a .reg setup with a bit more detail? Thanks.
Create a new project, go to the registry view.
In the Destination computer's Registry view right click any of the HKEY_ keys and select Import REG file.... That's it. 🙂
Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough. This is being packaged for an SMS distribution to roughly 700 clients.

I appreciate the instructions, but I don't think we are all on the same page here... So far I created a new project (In InstallShield 10.5) and imported the reg file I had which contains the keys. This project was packaged as a single msi. I'm lost at this point.
How about this:

1. create a batch file (reg.bat?), which imports your registry key file (i.e., regedit /s filename.reg)
2. launch Repackager and create a new project using the wizard
3. use installation monitoring as your method when prompted
4. point to reg.bat as your setup file
5. complete the process to generate the .irp file
6. use Repackager or Editor to generate the MSI which now has your registry keys

If these keys are found in your registry but you don't have them in a reg file, you can either export them and run the above process, or simply drag the entries into your project using the Editor.

I hope this helps.