cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER & Zenworks

Hi All

Operating Zenworks 7 here and building MSIs to roll out via Workstation Manager (Silent Installation as System Impersonation).

Using AdminStudio 7.5 Pro to package MSIs up with VMWare as a clean machine running the repackager locally on the clean VMware machine.

Due to the nature of our organisation (College), we have volatile user profiles on our network (Zenworks), and as such have issues with the installation of software to machines.

I have been having great issues with the quick setting up of the HKCU keys when a volatile user runs an installed MSI package...it wants to reinstall the whole darn package rather than just taking the keys from the Default Users location in the reg...is there a standard method for dealing with this situation?

The key issue is the profiles are VOLATILE and delete on logout...not good for students who would have to wait a minute or more to reinstall say Sage Line 50. Just want it to install the keys...maybe I am not packaging the app right?

Did attempt to create a sep Feature with the HKCU reg keys as a component UNDER that feature...not really helpped...must be a better way!

HELP! I'm a MSI packaging virgin! 🙂

Will some genius come to our aid! 😄

Thanks

Nigel
(2) Replies
have you tried validate on the build menu?
Have you considered using Active Setup, to run the command.

msiexec /fu {Product Code GUID of your package} ?

Create the following registry key :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{Product Code GUID of your package}

Then in this key, create the following registry string values :

StubPath
Version

In StubPath, you need to enter msiexec /fu {Product Code GUID of your package}

and in Version you can enter

This should then only repair the user registry entries and, given that the user profile is wiped on logout, would run each and every time the user next logged on.

Might be worth trying the above command interactively first of all (while logged on to a student account) and see whether the repair time is reduced to an acceptable level for yourself.

Regards

Spartacus