cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Monitoring - file/folder permissions?

Hi, hoping someone can help me! My company is finally moving forward on automating all of our first- and third-party applications. I have been trying out Adminstudio 11.5, and the Installation Monitoring repackager has been working wonderfully - except for one thing.

It does not appear that the repackager (monitoring or snapshot) will pick up manual changes to file/folder permissions.

For example: one of our simple applications creates a folder, then copies files into it. Then, I have to manually give All Users read/write permissions to the folder, or it won't work correctly. The MSI that Installation Monitoring created does the job - but it doesn't change the permissions on the folder.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion? I would not mind manually editing the MSI to get this functionality, but I am a complete noob at editing MSIs.

If I can get this functionality, then my company will move forward with purchasing a license (I'm just using the trial right now).

Thank you!
(2) Replies
you'll need to manually add the permissions ( use the Installshield handling)
just open the ISM ( with the Installshield Editor) and go the files/folders view and select the folder you want to set permissions on..
TheHasselhoff wrote:
I have been trying out Adminstudio 11.5, and the Installation Monitoring repackager has been working wonderfully - except for one thing.

It does not appear that the repackager (monitoring or snapshot) will pick up manual changes to file/folder permissions.

Correct. Just like Wise Package Studio's SetupCapture, AdminStudio's Repackager does not monitor ACL's. You need to manually identify the required permissions (using something like Microsoft Sysinternals Filemon/Regmon/Procmon) and add the needed permission changes in the InstallShield Editor.