cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to package MSOffice using Admin studio...?

Hi All,

We are evaluating Flexera AdminStudio and very much new to packaging.We are trying to Package MS Office using AdminStudio and left with no Luck.

Also when we create msi using Installmonitor, those applications are not being installed in 32 bit machines giving error as "UnSupported processor type".We are creating package in Windows 2008R2 machine.

Please help us to resolve these issues....

Thanks in Advance...
(10) Replies
Alpesh
By
Flexera Alumni
Hi,

You should only try to repackage on a 64-bit machine, if it is a 64-bit application. If you want to make your application work on a 32-bit machine, please repackage it on a 32-bit machine.

I hope this helps!
HI,
you should change template property in summery information tree, by default it will be x64;1033, you should change x64 to Intel, then it will work.Let me know after doing this.
Hi,

As said changed the Summary property value of X64 to intel and the change did not work....
Hi Alpesh,

As suggested if I package 64bit Software on 64 nit machine and 32bit software on 32 bit machine, then how should be my installation architecture.Because I have installed adminStudio in a 64 bit machine and now if I want to package 32 bit software, how should I proceed....

Also will it be possible to repackage the MsOffice without using Repackager tool in AdminStudio....?

Thanks in Advance
Hi

just want to point out that repackaging Microsoft Office.. is very very bad practice. As its already an MSI release you should not be repackaging this if you want an easy life - instead you should be looking to create a transform or use the Office Customisation Tool available from Microsoft
Alpesh
By
Flexera Alumni
I would agree with Tetsuo. One should not try to repackage Microsoft products, as they are mostly msi packages. And there are tools available to customize these products.

But, I will still suggest to repackage an app on a 32-bit machine, if you want to install the repackaged app on a 32-bit machine.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for all the replies...

Where can I find the .msi file in MSOffice folder so that I can transform the file and build as required...Because in the office setup folder, I could not find a single msi.

Can I create a transform file for Office in AdminStudio..?

thanks in advance....
Alpesh
By
Flexera Alumni
Hi Prasad,

You can look at this tool for customizing Office 2010 --> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179097.aspx.

Thanks!
Run the setup.exe with the /admin switch and it will bring up the office customization tool that allows you to create an .msp file that you place into the updates folder (no need for an mst).
Hi Alpesh or any Installshield Developer

There is some confusion regarding repackaging best practices for App-V and operating systems

For example can I repackage 32-bit applications for deployment to Windows 2008 R2 (with 3-2bit SYSWOW component installed) on a Windows 2008 R2 image or must it be repackaged on Windows 7 32-bit image? If repackaging on WIndows 2008 the repackage uses 64 bit monitoring??

Alpesh wrote:
I would agree with Tetsuo. One should not try to repackage Microsoft products, as they are mostly msi packages. And there are tools available to customize these products.

But, I will still suggest to repackage an app on a 32-bit machine, if you want to install the repackaged app on a 32-bit machine.

Hope this helps!