cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

:confused: This occurs on both an attempted uninstall, and a new install.:confused:

I have a VBScript which is to "blow away" any installed copy of the program (installed from "raw" or package). The Custom Action is set for Immediate Execution, After ISSetAllUsers.

Before the script was put in the msi, both install and uninstall ran fine. BUT, I can't make the package ready for distribution until we can remove any/all versions of the program, whether package or "raw" installed. I used the Custom Action Wizard to set it up.

Suggestions, please!!!

Jim
(7) Replies
Error 1720 indicates there are problems with the script code. You will need to debug it to identify the cause(s) of failure. A quick way is to insert MsgBox to your code.
I suspect that it is because I have a message which is displayed by the VBScript code. I haven't found a way to make the uninstall of this particular program "silent", therefore, I am displaying a message asking the user to make responses that will cause the removal to happen. The code has been tested independently (not under msi control) with many Wscript.Echo messages as debugging tools. This was the first time I was trying to run it under control of the msi, with only that one message not commented out.
😞 When I commented out the message, the uninstall ran, but not silently, of course.

Newly discovered problem::confused: The VBScript executes whenever I try to run the app!:confused: Any ideas? Anything to test in the script to tell what is happening when the script is entered?

Thanks,
Jim
WScript object shouldn't be used explicitly within a custom action. There are quite a few discussions on the topic in Developer and Express forums.
I'm not using the WScript object either, but I'm getting the same 1720 error. I added MsgBox calls in the vbs file, but I'm not even getting to that part of the code.

I've tried to pass a parameter to my vb script.

VBScript:
function setShareINI(path)

Customer Action:
VBScript Filename = <>\script.vbs
Script Function = setShareINI([INSTALLDIR])

Should this work?
If you need to pass something to your VBScript CA store it in a MSI Property and retrieve it in the script using the session object

sValue = Session.Property("PROPNAME" )
Does this include any information stored in the String tables? I'd like to be able to define values there and then read them in my vb script.