cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference Between Clicking Remove and Maintenance Mode/Remove?

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi. I have an MSI package that was given to us by an outside vendor.

I need to make some modifications to the installation so I have created a Transform to accomplish this.

The Transform seems to work fine as far as application functionality goes, but I have a problem when I try to remove the application.

If I go to Add/Remove Programs and select the application and click Remove, after stating that, "yes" I want to remove the application, I receive an error message that is vendor specific stating that I must uninstall the application before attempting to install it again.

So basically it thinks I'm trying to perform another installation.

However, if I go in Add/Remove Program, select the application and click Change instead of Remove, I am prompted with the standard MSI maintenance window. If I select Remove from here, the application removes without a problem.

I have also tried removing the application at the command line using /x with the MSI package name for both the locally cached copy as well as the original source. I have also tried using the prodcut code that is listed in the Registry.

This post is long enough as it is, so I don't want to bore you anymore with how many more things I've tried - all to no avail.

What is the difference between clicking Remove as opposed to clicking Change and then selecting Remove from the maintenance window!?:(
(1) Reply
See this post.