cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an MSI of WinZip 8.0

Okay, this has finally driven me to madness...
I am using Macrovision's AdminStudio 7.0 to try and repackage our corporate copy of WinZip 8.0. I've read in several places that this should be a relatively easy repackaging project, but a couple things are afflicting my MSI:
-WinZip related menu-items are not listed in the context menu
-On the first run of the program after installation it tells me that .ZIP files are not associated with WinZip, and would I like to associate them

I have tried all 3 methods of repackaging that AdminStudio 7.0 offers (Installation Monitoring, Single-Phase Snapshot, and Multi-Step Snapshot), but to no avail.
List of programs that I'm using:
-VMWare Workstation 4.52 (Clean version of Windows XP SP2 with all of latest updates)
-Macrovision AdminStudio 7.0
-WinZip 8.0 (Corporate Licensed)

These are the steps I have taken, so if anyone sees any folly in them, please let me know:
-Load VMWare Workstation running Windows XP SP2 image
-Login to Windows XP SP2 image with local Administrator account
-From a mapped drive, run the repackager program from within the VMWare image
-Select "Multi-Step Snapshot" method (Repackager program takes initial snapshot of VMWare image)
-Run "Setup.exe" for WinZip 8.0 application
-Step through WinZip 8.0 installation procedure, accepting all defaults (except to show tips at startup)
-From a mapped drive, run the repackager program again from within the VMWare image
-Select "Multi-Step Snapshot" method
-Enter in product information for application (Repackager program takes secondary snapshot of VMWare image)
-Close VMWare Workstation
-Open repackager program on local workstation and open repackager project created from the secondary snapshot
-Build package into MSI without changing any parameters (This allows for default installation)
-You now have an MSI package for WinZip 8.0, but with the issues listed above

So, is there anything that I'm missing here?

I've also posted here: http://www.appdeploy.com/messageboards/tm.asp?m=13225
(1) Reply
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thank you for reporting this problem. As an immediate workaround, I would suggest turning off the Repackager advanced option "Map registry data to the appropriate COM tables" and then rebuilding the WinZip 8.0 project.
- Rayo