cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Transform for an isScript-driven Installation

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
What's the best way of customising an installation that uses the isScript engine? Our standard is to create a transform for the MSI but with an isScript-driven installation, the first obstacle is that Tuner can't create a Response transform. I'm sure there will be other issues.
(4) Replies
The best way of customising an installation that uses the isScript engine (a Standard MSI or InstallScript MSI project) is at design time, modifying the script and logic coded into the project.

Using a Transform causes a number of issues to be considered and the process is not recommended. The behaviour may not be reliable depending on the logic affected. You may have come across the KB article which discusses the process of disassociating the MSI file from the Setup.exe, Q108166 "HOWTO: Deploy an MSI Wrapped with an InstallShield Script-Based Setup.exe."

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q108166

While this will allow Tuner to generated a Transform, it only takes into account the MSI tables and ignores the scripted logic in both the dialogs and the functions.

The bottom line is that using a Transform with an InstallScript MSI project may work for the most simple of projects but it should not be relied upon as a fool-proof method.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen that KB article so that was useful. Unfortunately I don't have access to the project at design time as it's from a 3rd party.

I've come to the same conclusion as you that bypassing the scripted logic is too risky so I'm looking at alternatives.
You might wish to contact the vendor of the package. They may have a Basic MSI version of the installation package or would be willing to make some changes to accomodate their customer's needs.
With Vendors that use logic built from Setup.exe to launch the MSI, I usually try to log the logic and force the logic into the MSI. Although by doing this, you create a boxed MSI that only contains logic for the environment it was forced to install in.