cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automating the installation of Acrobat printers on Windows XP...

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi,

I repackaged the installer for Acrobat 5.0.5 French version into the Windows Installer format (MSI) using InstallShield Admin studio.

The Acrobat Distiller and PDFwriter printers get installed statically via the usual file copy and static registry keys. To see the printers, I forced a reboot.

However, this poses conflict problems if other softwares, such as SnagIt, install or uninstall virtual printers. Instead of just adding files and registry keys to the system, I would like to launch a custom action that would install the printers via an executable, or by using an inf file with the command rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "Acrobat PDFWriter" /f %windir%\inf\????.inf /r "lpt1:" /m "Acrobat PDFWriter".

As anyone ever succeeded at creating such a custom action?

How could I get the proper INF file for Windows XP to do that? Can't find anything in Adobe online support to help me do that.

Basically, I am trying to find a way to automate the installation of the Acrobat Distiller and PDFWriter printers with a script of some sort, Not with the original installer given by Adobe.

Thanks in advance,

Frederic Pinsonnault
(1) Reply
Have you tried using the Adobe Admin Config Tool for Adobe 5.0...I have never used the tool but have heard it helps. Otherwise what I did in the past was silently launch the distiller setup as a custom action in order to successfully load everything.