cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checkpoint SecureClient

I've tried numerous times to successfully repackage Checkpoint's SecureClient (VPN Software), has anyone successfully repackaged it? It's already in .msi format. I believe it's in either data1.cab or data2.cab but haven't been able to extract it. This package was created with InstallShield tools.

HELP!!!

Bryan
(16) Replies
Bryan:

Thank you for your question regarding repackaging Checkpoint's SecureClient software.

First question would be if you've already got the software installed on your machine. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've forgotten to uninstall the software before trying to repackage something myself.

Could you tell me more about how you're repackaging the software? Are you using InstallMonitor or snapshot method (and if snapshot, single or multiple steps)? Can you try it again using another method if you haven't done so already and let me know how that turns out?

Also, can you tell me more about what's happening when you do try to repackage the software? Errors? Do you get any output files at all?

Last question would be if you have tried this on more than one machine. This might be an issue with one particular configuration, and it may just work on another machine.

Anyway, if you could let us know more about the situation we might be able to shed more light on the problem. Thank you for your assistance, and thank you for using AdminStudio.
MHagen,

Keep in mind that this software package is already in an .MSI format. It's just a "Setup.exe", a couple of cabs and a few other files. If I could get to the .msi I could create a transform. I've repackaged SecureClient several times using both InstallMonitor and Snapshot Method (Multiple Step). I will attempt again using Single Step but doubt it will be successful. I've had it repackaged, the outcome after installation of the package is eh! I get anywhere from a login screen to windows but can't login or it crashes.

The vendor package was designed with InstallShield tools, there has to be a way to "extract" the .msi.

Help!!!

Bryan
Bryan:

If the CAB File Viewer isn't able to help in this regard (ISCabVu.exe), then let me see if I can come up with more information on this subject. Thank you for your patience.
MHagen,

Where do I get ISCabVu.exe? I can't find it on my system. Will this allow me to extract the file or all files?

Thanks,

Bryan
Bryan,

Oops, sorry about that, I was thinking you were using AdminStudio 5.5, the CAB file viewer comes with DevStudio 9, which is part of the AdminStudio 5.5 package.

However, I did find an alternative on the web:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Gording/cabview.html

Naturally, I ought to mention that it would be better to upgrade your version of AdminStudio to version 5.5, but that may not be entirely possible at this time.

I haven't tried their CabView utility, but if it extracts files as the description says it should help with this particular problem. I also found a reference to a tool called ClikView, but I'm not sure if it's freebieware or not.

Again, sorry for the hassle.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Are you sure its an msi? If its got a setup.exe and cab files it still could be an old installscript setup.exe.

To check scan c:\windows\installer\*.msi to see if, after you've installed it, there is a cached msi on the machine.

If its not an MSI, you might also be able to use installshields silent switches to capture your customisations and play them back via -s and -r?

Again, if it is an msi the easiest way to get it is to grab it from the cached source.

I hope this is what you want.
If it is an msi you should be able to start the install then grab the MSI out the temp folder and whisk it away to a safe location. There you can transform at will.
I've tried all of that but upon further investigation it's not an .msi. It just looks like one, meaning the installation looks very much like a Windows Installer based installation. So enough of that! I'm still having much difficulty packaging this VPN product. GRR.

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly apppeciated!

Thanks,

Bryan
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Does this application try to setup its own virtual network card? IE in network settings does another virtual adaptor appear? Some of this information might be dynamic and not port well between computers?

Sometimes there is a service which needs to be started - have you captured any /all service details?

Also I understand Installshield is advertising 5.5 as being able to convert installshield setups with a wizzard into an msi, retaining some/most/all of the origial structure - may be download an eval and try that/

GL
I too have had a problem with this app ... any updates.

mine seems to package fine but it doesn't appear to gel too well with the network adaptor - in that once I install the package I loose network connectivity???

anyone?
if its of any interest to anyone, checkpoint now do their own installer to create an msi for this package -
TheMix,

Is it something they distribute? What version does it work for?

Thanks,

Bryan
They are sending us the newest client as soon as next week, however I am not holding my breath. It still needs a wee bit o' work but it is a step in the right direction.

You will need to modify 2 files (Userc.C & Product.ini) but a MST works just fine. If they don't make it available for everyone I can attach mine up here or email it to you.

If you are in a real hurry I can send you the last one they sent me. Just let me know.
Shawn,

Do you actually have an .msi from Checkpoint? If so, have you created an .mst for it? It was actually older then the version we were using for our standard! Are you guys on Novell and if so do you have login script issues after installing the Checkpoint client?

I'm familiar with updating the Userc.C & Product.ini files.

Thanks,

Bryan
:eek:
Yes, Yes, Version 5.0 and Yes. OK this is a little creepy now!
:eek:

I think my exact words were, "They sent us a WHAT???"

We have had a variety of issues. Nothing consistant, at least nothing we have been able to nail down. The newest Novell Client with the newest pre-release SP seemed to help the login script issues. We are hoping the newest client will improve things.
Hi BCM4309 ...

just found out a bit more - it doesn't create msi has I said originally but it creates a unattended exe - a bit like an old installer packager I suppose - I should be getting it this week so If I can distribute I will send to you.

cheers