cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hi!
I am trying to create my first MSI package (ServerProtect AntiVirus) and when I run the package on the target computer I get a bluse screen with error "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDELED"

I am using AdminStudio version 5.0 and this is how I am creating the package.

1: Installed Windows 2000 Server SP3 and applied all the security patches and hot fixes (nothing else on the system)
2: Took an initial snapshot by runing the "isrepackager" from a Network Share
3: Installed ServerProtect 5.35 from a Network Share and rebooted the computer
4: Took the after snapshot and created the ISM file on Network Share
5: Made few changes to the ISM files (e.g. Company URL, Program Files folder, Contact Information etc) and built the MSI file

But when I run that MSI file on another clean Windows 2000 Server, it crashes the system and gives me the BSOD

Any help would be greatly appreciated
(5) Replies
It you create a log file for the installation on the target OS, it would be helpful in debugging.

You can create a log file by running the following command:

If you are running msi file directly:

msiexec /i /l*v

If you are running Setup.exe created by Developer:

setup.exe /v "/l*v "

We can take a look at the log file and help troubleshooting.

Regards
Rajesh
What I found was that the snapshot captured registry information related to hardware the hardware of my clean machine.

When the msi was run on another machine it had serious issues with this registry entry.

Currently I try to get away with removing all the entries in the HKEY_Local_Machine\System\ that deal with hardware.
Thanks RajeshT & StankJones

When I excluded the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum registry key, it took care of the BSOD.

Now I am stuck at Error 1920. When I run the MSI package it tries to start the "Trend ServerProtect" service and it stops at Error 1920. I found an article regarding Error 1920 (Q107618
) and did everything that the article says but it did not resolve the issue.

I only had one warning during the build creation and validation which is because of a registry key and it should not be included if the MSI package has to run on a Win95 system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have similar problems with AdminStudio 5.0 with ValuePack 1

I get BSOD quite often with many off-the-shelf applications.

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
"Address 8049A7E2 base at 80400000, DataStamp 3d366b8b - ntoskrnl.exe"

I have so far seen this on:

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition v8.0.2
Symantec Client Firewall v5.0
Nortel Networks Contivity VPN Client v4.10

My Snapshot systems are:

Dell GX200 and Dell GX270
vanilla Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 3
video drivers

PS. The weird thing is...the BSOD address is always "Address 8049A7E2 base at 80400000, DataStamp 3d366b8b - ntoskrnl.exe"...
iTwins,
Make sure you checked "Map NT Service Events to the ServiceControl table" option in the Repackager IDE. You can find this in LHS view under Advanced Settings under Repackager Output node. This will populate the Service related MSI tables appropriately.