cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I have several packages that once installed operate fine but when a new user logs into their Win2k box they can open Windows Explorer in the case of Adobe Acrobat and windows installer "appears" to install Adobe Acrobat, completes, and then Windows Explorer launches.

In the Property Manager I added a property of "ALLUSERS" and a value of 2. I installed the product under an account with ADMIN rights, created a new user on my test machine and then logged in to that account. As soon as I launch Windows Explorer, Windows Installer launches and does it's thing then exits.

Is there a way around that?

Bryan
(5) Replies
Something must be triggering the MSI to repair itself

what does it say in the NT Event log as to why your install is running?

looeee
Looeee,

Detection of product '{5108EE3C-9B02-4516-B522-D306EB50B982}', feature 'AdobeAcrobatNewFeature', component '{DBF670BF-4AB0-45A5-BDA6-F526CA2A1D51}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\InstallShield Repackaged Applications\Adobe Systems, Inc.\Adobe Acrobat\Folder_Preferences\Installed' does not exist.

Do I need to have that directory in HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

Thanks,

Bryan
you'll need to find out what component {DBF670BF-4AB0-45A5-BDA6-F526CA2A1D51} is for

It looks like installshield are using some workaround for something.

do you have folders created in the user profile?

are all your shortcuts advertised?

looeee
Looeee,

Component {DBF670BF-4AB0-45A5-BDA6-F526CA2A1D51} is for [AppDataFolder]Adobe\Acrobat\Preferences which gets created in the user's profile and not "All Users". The Adobe Acrobat shortcut is Advertised.

The software appears to be available to all users its just that when a new user logs in it sets up that key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. If it was setup per-machine it shouldnt do that correct?

Bryan
I think I see what's going on

There's some validation rule that says (from memory here) "anything that gets installed to the user profile must use a registry key as its keypath, whether the component contains files, a folder or whatever"

InstallShield has automatically generated this Registry key for you.

[AppDataFolder] is a user profile, so it gets installed for each user. There is a folder called [CommonAppDataFolder] but if your software doesn't look there then there's no point putting any files there.

if [AppDataFolder]Adobe\Acrobat\Preferences is an empty folder and the software works without it then delete the component.

looeee