cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Reader 7.01 Update Package

I have deployed Adobe Reader 7.0.msi via Group Policy and it has worked quite well. I want to deploy the 7.01 update, but cannot figure out how to incorporate that into the .msi. Create a transform file? How would I go about that? I have the file Acro-Reader_701_Update.exe, but I can't figure out how to incorporate it into the 7.0 package. Should I just create a seperate .msi out of the 7.01 update?
(5) Replies
The 7.0.1 exe update will create a temporary copy of the MSI in the current users profile during installation. You will then have to copy the msi when it is extracted during setup. (Search the current users profile for adobe*.msi to find the extract) 🙂

The only problem I am seeing with the 7.0.1 update is that it also contains the update information for Acrobat 7.0 which I don't want to run if possible.

I am still trying to find a way to suppress any updates to Acrobat 7.0 so that this install is stand alone. So if you find a waqy to do this please post the answer.
Since we use Active Directory to push down installations, I had wanted to use an Administrative Install for Reader and Acrobat products. Unfortunately Adobe does not publish their updates in an .msp format. Now that Adobe has 7.02 update out, I had to figure out a way to push down 7.0, 7.01 and 7.02 all in 1 package. I ended up using nested installations. You'll need to obtain all the installation files for 7.0 first, than obtain the .msi files for 7.01 and 7.02. You can use Adobe's Tuner to edit all the .msi files to your liking (i.e., removing automatic updates, etc.). Place all of the 7.0 installation files, and the 7.01 and 7.02 .msi files in 1 folder. Open the 7.0 .msi file in Installshied Editor.

You will create 4 custom actions: 2 for nested installs ("Install01Update" and "Install02Update") and 2 for nested uninstalls ("Uninstall01Update" and "Uninstall02Update"). Launch the Custom Action wizard. Type will be "launch another .msi package" and location will be "stored on source media". Place the 01install in the Execute Sequence after InstallFinalize; the 02install will be placed after the 01install. Under CONDITIONS, set to: Not Installed.

For the uninstall custom actions, the type will be "launch another .msi package" and location will be "application that is advertised or already installed". Place the 02uninstall in the Execute Sequence after InstallValidate; 01uninstall will be placed after the 02uninstall. Under CONDITIONS, set to: REMOVE="ALL".

When the package runs, Reader will be at the current version of 7.02. If you look under Add/Remove programs, you will see all 3 Adobe files (7.0, 7.01 update, 7.02 update). When the installation package is uninstalled, all 3 packages are removed from Add/Remove programs.
Elroy7 wrote:
Since we use Active Directory to push down installations, I had wanted to use an Administrative Install for Reader and Acrobat products. Unfortunately Adobe does not publish their updates in an .msp format. Now that Adobe has 7.02 update out, I had to figure out a way to push down 7.0, 7.01 and 7.02 all in 1 package. I ended up using nested installations. You'll need to obtain all the installation files for 7.0 first, than obtain the .msi files for 7.01 and 7.02. You can use Adobe's Tuner to edit all the .msi files to your liking (i.e., removing automatic updates, etc.). Place all of the 7.0 installation files, and the 7.01 and 7.02 .msi files in 1 folder. Open the 7.0 .msi file in Installshied Editor.

You will create 4 custom actions: 2 for nested installs ("Install01Update" and "Install02Update") and 2 for nested uninstalls ("Uninstall01Update" and "Uninstall02Update"). Launch the Custom Action wizard. Type will be "launch another .msi package" and location will be "stored on source media". Place the 01install in the Execute Sequence after InstallFinalize; the 02install will be placed after the 01install. Under CONDITIONS, set to: Not Installed.

For the uninstall custom actions, the type will be "launch another .msi package" and location will be "application that is advertised or already installed". Place the 02uninstall in the Execute Sequence after InstallValidate; 01uninstall will be placed after the 02uninstall. Under CONDITIONS, set to: REMOVE="ALL".

When the package runs, Reader will be at the current version of 7.02. If you look under Add/Remove programs, you will see all 3 Adobe files (7.0, 7.01 update, 7.02 update). When the installation package is uninstalled, all 3 packages are removed from Add/Remove programs.

You could also extract the updated files from the updates and make .msp yourself...

reg, Henno
Hi

I have just tried the Custom action way that Elroy7 described

It works allmost, :mad:

I end up with the two updates MSI in Add/Remove programs still

even after they have been uninstalled, even if I uninstall manually

I first got this problem while installing, i saw this in the eventviewer

Product: Adobe Acrobat 7.0.1 and Reader 7.0.1 Update --
Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to
read from the file \\bdo.dk\dfs$\Packages\Adobe\Reader7.00\b059.msi

I took a copy of the original Reader update01 MSI and renamed it to

b059.msi

same problem with the 02 update so i did the same thing

In the eventviewer it tells me that the program has been unistalled fine

but it is still in the Add/Remove programs list why ?

And what can i do

How can I make the msp file

Sweede :confused:
Sweede- not sure what is happening with your install as Reader or both versions of Acrobat Pro/Std will work with the method I outlined. I've tested both from the RUN line or through Group Policy with no problems. You can even have the Reader install with Acrobat Pro/Std installed. If you uninstall Pro/Std, it will still keep the .01 and .02 Updates for Reader until that is finally removed. Just make sure you place the Uninstall custom actions in the correct place and order (02 gets uninstalled first, then 01) are placed after INSTALLVALIDATE and condition is REMOVE="ALL".