cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adminstudio 5 & VMware

The VMware Repackaging Wizard does not display any virtual machines.

I'm running WMware 3.1.1 build 1790.

Is there a way to fix this?

Regards,

Rene
(14) Replies
how do you mean? I have just installed it into a vmware station and run the repackager through another one? (3.2.0 build 2230)
In AdminStudio 5 you can run WMware from the repackager, but it does not show me my virtual machines.
ah then i assume you have it installed actually on the host. sorry i thought you meant in vmware itself. Have not tried that yet. Think i will have a look now.
Rene,

Thank you for your question regarding AdminStudio 5.0 and the VMWare Repackaging Wizard. When you start the Wizard, it's just going to show what images are available, and start one for you, if I remember correctly. It sounds like you were wanting it to detect existing VMWare images being run, which it does not do. I can certainly pass that on as a suggestion to our developers, if you like.
No that's not it. Nothing shows up in the wizard, the combo-box is empty.

Regards,

Rene
>>Nothing shows up in the wizard, the combo-box is empty

Hmmm, that's odd. You have VMWare installed on the same machine where you're starting the VMWare Repackaging Wizard, and this VMWare application lists one or more virtual machine names, yes?

By any chance are those images already running in VMWare windows when you start the Wizard? I know you can't have the same VMWare image running twice, so maybe your VMWare images are active, and the wizard has nothing to run.
My virtual machines do indeed show up in the wizard, but no in a very user-friendly way (I need to use the tiny scrollbar). Also it doesn't start the actual virtual machine, just VMware.

I hoped it would start repackager inside the virtual machine for me. What exactly does the wizard do, apart from starting WMware??

Regards,

Rene
There's a white paper that exlains how to set it up efficiently:

http://www.installshield.com/downloads/wp/?pm=isas&wp=6x.pdf&xmlUse=y
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am having a related problem in that when using VMWare Workstation 4 the VMWare Repackaging Wizard is greyed out in Repackager. Is there a work around for this? I have set up the machine exactly as specified in the whitepaper.

Mike Alves
The repackage will read the location of your VMWare images from
This is the location where VMWare will keep the preferences and other information about images.
<>\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\VMware
Make sure the location (its a hidden folder) exist and is accesible for the repackager to find.
Also currently, the repackager Wizrad does not launch the Vmware image itself. It will just launch the VMware with the specified image highlighted in the VMWare window.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Ok I made sure the path was correct and accessible. It still is greyed out. Does VMWare have to be installed first before AdminStudio?

😞
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Ok I made sure the path was correct and accessible. It still is greyed out. Does VMWare have to be installed first before AdminStudio?

😞
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
To enable the menu, we perform the following checks:

First we find where VMWare is installed by checking the InstallPath value name under one of the following keys:
HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware Workstation
HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware GSX Server

Then we check for the existence of VMWare.exe in the path specified. E.g.:
C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\Programs
vmware.exe

Next we try to load preferences.ini to get VMWare's MRU list.
C:\Documents and Settings\JosephHillenbrand\Application Data\VMWare\preferences.ini
prefvmx.mru.config

If there are no entries in the MRU list, the option is not enabled.

Joe
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Here is how I fixed my issue. Open up the following ini file C:\Documents and Settings\UserName \Application Data\VMWare\preferences.ini

in the prefvmx.mru.config line after the = make sure you list all of your vmware images.

Ex.--> prefvmx.mru.config = "c:\my virtual machines\windows nt\windows nt.vmx;c:\my virtual machines\windows xp professional\windows xp professional.vmx;c:\my virtual machines\windows 2000 professional\windows 2000 professional.vmx;c:\my virtual machines\windows 2000 server\windows 2000 server.vmx;c:\my virtual machines\windows 2000 advanced server\windows 2000 advanced server.vmx;"

It still shows up in a very small scroll box but they are all there.

Hope it helps