cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

semi silent install....

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hello...I have an installshield install created by a vendor. I am familiar with running the setup with the -r command to create a response file, then on the end user pc running the install silent:

setup.exe -s -f1

This hides all user interaction. I would like to specify a response file to use, so it answers all the questions for the user, but leave the install up where the user can see that it is occurring...

Help?

Scandler
(5) Replies
Tuner can be used to create Response Files. When a transform is created with Tuner, you can check the box for "Response Transform" and add any commandline properties. Tuner will take you through the setup dialogs and record your responses.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Thanks in advance for everyone's assistance. I will try to find some info on Tuner. This is a third party app, so I don't know what I'll be able to do... but I'll try anything!

Scandler
Sorry for not being clear - Tuner is an InstallShield product. It's part of the AdminStudio suite of products It is used to make transforms (.mst files) and Response Transforms. Transforms let you customize a vendor's Windows Installer setup (.msi) without making direct modifications to the vendor's .msi package.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am familiar with the Tuner product, but as I said, this is a third party app and was supplied as a P4TW. Now, I know how to pull the files out of it, but I do not believe it has an MSI provided. Can I still use tuner to create a transforms?

Scandler
Thanks for clarifying. You have PFTW installation which you can run silently, but want to run in semi-silent mode.

What you can do is repackage your installation, making it a Windows Installer package. Then you install it using the MSIExec commandline. One of the parameters is /q, which sets the user interface level. Specifically, the parameter /qb will display only a basic UI. There are other UI levels available for the /q parameter as well.

Hope this is a little more help,