cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AdminStudio 5.0

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Is there an AdminStudio 5.0 that is replacing 3.5? The knowledge base has a section for it but I can't find any other documentation.
(12) Replies
Can you point me to the section in the knowledge base which refers to it.
BTW, Adminstudio 5.0 is a new major release and will be shortly released.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Go to http://support.installshield.com/kb/

In the 'Choose a Product' combo box, scroll down and see "InstallShield AdminStudio 5.0 5.x".

Some people in my company have asked me about it, this was the only place that I saw any reference to it, although there is no information if you search on that selection.

By the way, how long has 3.5 been released, we just purchased it after using the demo version?
AS 3.5 was released sometime back around Aug/Sept 2002. Since then (value packs) VP1 and VP2 for AS 3.5 had been released.
AS 5.0 will start shipping soon.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm trying to apply the latest service pack for developer 8.0 and it tells me I have to have Adminstudio 5.0 or later. Does this mean I can't get the update? I'm getting it via the Update Service from Developer itself.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Same here, I get an error message telling me that Developer 8 SP1 requires Admin Studio 5.0. That's really weird...
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
If V5 is due out shortly, how does that affect those of us who bought the product in the last few months? Do we get a free upgrade to it?

Clive
Originally posted by cflint
If V5 is due out shortly, how does that affect those of us who bought the product in the last few months? Do we get a free upgrade to it?

Clive

Clive,

AdminStudio 5 will be available April 2. If you'd like to learn a little more, you can check out the press release:
InstallShield Unveils Complete Application Lifecycle Management Solution

If you have a subscription agreement, it will be shipped to you automatically on April 2. If not, there will be upgrade pricing announced on this date as well (sorry, I'm not at liberty to pre-announce this).

If you purchased AdminStudio 3.5 within the last month or two, please contact your sales representative to see if any special arrangements can be made.

Thanks, and make sure to check out this great new release!
Please be noted that, Developer 8 (Service pack 1) or 8.01 is available through update service only for Developer 8.0 customers. This update is not available for AS 3.5 customers.
We have corrected the update service notification so that AS 3.5 customers will not see this message.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
That's quite ... interesting ... to say the least....
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
What annoys me is that alsothough the product cost over gbp 2000 we only get the new version if we bought it in the last 30 days. Otherwise we can buy it for the _discounted_ price of gbp1269 (+ VAT).

Gee, thanks. Thats a help. I don't think Installshield realises that a lot of users are not neccessarily corporate users and can't afford to keep shelling out every few months in order to keep up.

Clive
Yes, the product is very nice and very expensive, many people turn to Wise Package Studio, although i still prefer AdminStudio
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I quite agree with you, Clive.

I only recently moved at the end of last year to AdminStudio from WinINSTALL. (NB Repackager couldn't handle most of the WinINSTALL packages I had previously built)

It has taken me the last 3 months to repackage all of my programs. Most of this time has been spent tracking down bugs in AdminStudio. (_SHORT file names, missing slashes from the end of paths in the registry, ini files not fully be captured, etc).

I feel more like a Beta tester 🙂

From what I've read in these community, the bugs seem to continue in new releases.

As there is no difference in the large upgrade costs if you've been a 3.5 user for more than 31 days rather than a version 1.0 user since the beginning (if there was a version 1 !), I personally will not be upgrading.

I would only have to work out solutions for new and old bugs and I don't feel like paying a large amount of money for the privilege of testing for Installshield.