cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server Installations

Hello all,

I've just noticed today that we have a large amount of SQL Server 2016 and 2019 installs appear in Flexera. There is no edition identified, and both applications have the overlapping evidence flag. We are using the Flexera agent to gather inventory. Digging further, I selected one of the machines showing SQL Server 2016. Looking at the applications tab and filtering SQL, I see two entries as per the attached. One for SQL Server 2016 Enterprise, and one for SQL Server 2016. From a licensing perspective it's not a concern as this VM sits an SQL cluster licensed at the host level, but I'm intrigued to understand why it is reporting as it is.

Any help would be super appreciated. I'm new to Flexera and still trying to get my head around it.

Thanks

(1) Solution
OK. It might be possible that this is an old license record from an old version of the ARL published by Flexera that no longer exists; but it has been kept on your system because it is linked to a license record.

If you don't want this application to be there anymore, you should be able to simply delete it (because the source is "Local").
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(7) Replies

Looks like the same issue that was discussed in this post: https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Forum/Lots-of-SQL-Server-installations-detected-without-edition/m-p/262780#M16769

I opened a ticket with Flexera and their recommendation was to delete the applications altogether. I did that and it seemed to work successfully.

Thanks. I did see that thread, but it doesn't look like a proper resolution was obtained. If the issue has arose because of something to do with the ARL my preference is for Flexera to address this,  as opposed to doing it myself. Hopefully someone in the Flexera Team can advise.

Oh I 100% agree. I'm not sure why they are not addressing it.

I'm not sure if I can flag this chat to support, so I guess I'll need to log a ticket unless someone comes along?

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The recognized application without an edition shows Source = "Local", which indicates that somebody has locally configured this application on your system. It does not appear to be an application record included in the ARL published by Flexera.

You may be able to see who configured it by looking at the details on the "History" tab of the application record, so you can talk to them about why it is there and whether it is appropriate to keep or modify in some way.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi Chris, thanks and we looked at the history tab on the application record. Nothing to indicate anyone within out company has done anything. The Operator for all history relates to the Flexera service account and not an individual, so I'm completely baffled as to why.

OK. It might be possible that this is an old license record from an old version of the ARL published by Flexera that no longer exists; but it has been kept on your system because it is linked to a license record.

If you don't want this application to be there anymore, you should be able to simply delete it (because the source is "Local").