cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory Devices with a Serial Number of "None"

Hello Everyone, I am looking for any suggestions on how to maybe resolve a current challenge that I am seeing with about 50 or so Inventory Devices which are identified as "Computer" as the Inventory Device Type but are showing a Serial number of "None". This occurrence is causing a little havoc in one of our Business Adapters due to the fact that pretty well everything matches serial numbers first before making any updates. When our Adapter does the matching of the serial number, it is using "None"in some cases and then randomly finds another device with the same serial number as "None" and updates that one.

The fact of no serial number coming from the agent process is for sure the handy work of our provisioning team building servers without identifying the serial  number in the appropriate spot so the agent can pick it up. That is my battle with our provisioning team but I am curious if there is a way to update the correct serial number into the Inventory device properties. I know that it is not possible to update the majority of detail that the agent brings back but wanted to ask just the same.

The other point worth mentioning which may or may not help me with this is that ... we use a Business Adapter to import all of our Assets into Flexera from ServiceNow so the Asset record does have the correct serial number but when I tried to "Link" the Inventory Device to the Asset record it updated the serial number of the Asset record to "None" which is obviously the way the tool makes that match  .. I wasn't sure of which way that relationship was driven from, so that little exercise did not help me.

As I say, just looking for any pointers that someone may have come across to resolve this ... I guess one method may be to "manually" create all of these Inventory Devices where I could input the correct serial number but that would take quite a bit of time.

Thanks in Advance as Always

Bruce

(1) Solution

Best practice says , This should be correct at source level. Provisioning team must take care serial number creation. Its a mandatory field  for any VM or physical device.

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

Best practice says , This should be correct at source level. Provisioning team must take care serial number creation. Its a mandatory field  for any VM or physical device.