cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe application usage

Hi, 

We've been working on reducing the number of Adobe licenses by removing the users, who have not used it for over 90 days.

Does anyone know how it works when a version is updated?
for instance Photoshop is changing file versions even on the same main version (Photoshop CC (2023) has 8 versions of Photoshop.exe).

What happens with the usage? we are afraid that we are getting false negatives, when users get an app updated. and if they are not using the app for a week, it would not have any usage recorded on that new exe file. 

The same, when updating from 2022 to 2023 - we get a bunch of skewed data (I think) 😕
Has anyone had thoughts on this or confirmations or solutions?

(3) Replies

@vytasdem 

It's the 'Not for recognition' entries that are being used for software usage monitoring:

Capture.PNG

Note: The screen shot above is for Photoshop CC (2022) as I don't see any File evidence for 2023.

Therefore, if the Photoshop.exe versions (and PhotoshopPrefsManager.exe versions) don't match the versions used for matching recognition rule wise then you may not be catching software usage data for these, and may as such come to the wrong conclusion of it not being used.

Thanks,

Hi, 

for most of the file evidence on Photoshop 2022 and 2023 I have Photoshop.exe rule to be "At least one".
I might have understood you incorrectly, but doesn't "Not for recognition" pretty much Ignore the evidence?

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@vytasdem - "not for recognition" ignores the evidence for the purpose of recognizing whether the software is installed (based on inventory data), but it does not ignore the evidence for the purpose of recognizing whether the software is used (based on application metering data).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)