cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business adapter migration to new beacon

We are building new beacon servers.  We have a GTM that manages inventory connections, so we are not concerned with that part of the migration.  However, the business adapters may be a different story. Can the xml in \ProgramData\Flexera Software\Beacon\BusinessAdapter for those simply be copied from one server to another (presuming data sources are intact)?

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, adapter XML files can be copied from the C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Beacon\BusinessAdapter directory on one beacon to another.

If you have any encrypted details in an adapter XML file (such as a database connection string), they will need to be configured again in the Business Adapter Studio UI once the file has been copied to the new beacon: details encrypted on one beacon cannot be decrypted by another beacon.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(4) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, adapter XML files can be copied from the C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Beacon\BusinessAdapter directory on one beacon to another.

If you have any encrypted details in an adapter XML file (such as a database connection string), they will need to be configured again in the Business Adapter Studio UI once the file has been copied to the new beacon: details encrypted on one beacon cannot be decrypted by another beacon.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

I have tried this for other customers as well and this has never worked. Need to rebuild each adapter every time. 

We tried, but this did not work.  We attempted to execute a migrated adapter, and received this error in System Tasks on the Cloud app server:"Key not valid for use in specified state."

We then attempted to edit the adapter in the beacon gui, and get "Unhandled excepetion...".

Thoughts?  Is this a bug? Should we open a case?

It sounds like you may have some encrypted details in the adapter. Try opening the adapter XML file in a text editor, delete the encrypted details, and then open the adapter in the Business Adapter Studio (beacon GUI) again to reconfigure the source connection settings.