cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vCenter Discovery Not Found - vCenter using Self-Signed Cert

dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

We have a customer who has a segment of vCenters that are using self-signed certificates. When we browse to vSphere on a browser on the beacon server we encounter the certificate not trusted warning. The beacon's inventory rule is not discovering the vCenter service on these servers and I am suspecting it is due to the self signed cert. Are there any options for getting around this? Thinking either move to port 80 (unsecured so likely not an option) or disable the CRL checking in the beacon registry (would like to avoid this).

Thanks!

- Dan

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

VMware servers typically have untrusted certificates (as is the case you're observing), so certificate validity is not checked when gathering inventory from them. You don't need to do anything to configure that.

So whatever is happening in your case, I don't expect it will be an issue with certificate trust.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(4) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

VMware servers typically have untrusted certificates (as is the case you're observing), so certificate validity is not checked when gathering inventory from them. You don't need to do anything to configure that.

So whatever is happening in your case, I don't expect it will be an issue with certificate trust.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thank you @ChrisG 

There can be a lot of possibilities first thing you need to check the log files on the beacon and start from there 

We had almost similar kind of issue with vCenter vmware discovery (I advise you don't trust browser). In my case I can't access the vCenter via browser but with beacon, esxquery or RVTools I can successfully connect and discovery it.

I suggest you following: 

1. use google chrome or any other advance browser only (observer the url change etc.)

2. just to test the connection and credentials use a RVTools utility (download its a freeware)

3. additionally use Flexera ESXquery stand alone agent for vmware inventory

4. validate credentials on vCenter and reset or recreate/add Flexera user on vCenter

Good luck!