cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which inventory is king? Flexera Agent or SCCM?

We have just started rolling out the Flexera Agent to all systems in our environment. Previously we had it installed only in our server environment. We are starting to see good results, but are curious. Which inventory is the master? I know we can see the last inventory source, but which one is king? Which one trumps the other? Or are they just combined?

Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.
(1) Solution

Hi @EHacking 

depending on your settings in "Inventory data". We've set "FlexNet Manager Suite" as primary (should be default) and fine with the results

https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2020R1/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Sys-DataInputsInvTab.html

The primary connection has priority for the import of hardware inventory. Any non-null value from the primary connection cannot be over-written by conflicting data from any secondary source, even if the secondary source was imported more recently. For values that are null (not reported) in the primary connection, secondary connections can provide data, with the most recent secondary import taking priority for this. (The primary connection setting has no effect on the import of software inventory.)

View solution in original post

(5) Replies

Hi @EHacking 

depending on your settings in "Inventory data". We've set "FlexNet Manager Suite" as primary (should be default) and fine with the results

https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2020R1/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Sys-DataInputsInvTab.html

The primary connection has priority for the import of hardware inventory. Any non-null value from the primary connection cannot be over-written by conflicting data from any secondary source, even if the secondary source was imported more recently. For values that are null (not reported) in the primary connection, secondary connections can provide data, with the most recent secondary import taking priority for this. (The primary connection setting has no effect on the import of software inventory.)

Can you share what inventory data you receive if you deploy flexera agents to PCs vs using SCCM connection? I'm searching but cant find a comparison matrix.
Software Governance Leader
Global IT
Wabtec Corporation
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Erick,

Also regarding your last question: Yes inventories are actually combined. I tried explaining in there: https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Forum/Last-inventory-source-FlexNet-Manager-Suite-vs-SMS/m-p/157655#M8090

Best regards,

Markward

rmiller1
By Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Hi Erick,

WE believe that our agent provides better results and better detail - e.g. Raw Software Usage is from our agents, whereas SCCM data provides less information. In years past we also saw better application recognition logic for e.g. SQL Server, where SCCM was providing incomplete data. There are a number of discussions around this, but I would suggest looking more at the strategic level, as to where best to use the different data sources in your organization. What I mean by this is that in some cases, it may be simpler to use an existing tool (like SCCM) where you don't need the detailed logic and capability of the Flexera agent. An example may be EUC environments, where licensing metrics are usually quite simple - device or install-based - so a lesser tool may be ok here, whereas in the data center, where more complex metrics are used, it will probably be necessary to use the agent.

All environments have their own challenges, and combining tools can also be useful, as the other responders have indicated.

HTH

R.Miller

@rmiller1 I totally agree that the Flexera agent is better. That's why we are finally using it. I've argued for its use for over two years now. SCCM doesn't give us enough information, especially for Acrobat Pro vs. Standard.

Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.