cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) as a source of software inventory

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Has anybody here sought to import software inventory data from OEM into FlexNet? If so, I'd love to connect to hear about what you've done!

(FlexNet does provide an out-of-the-box integration with OEM to use it as a source for discovering a list of Oracle Database instances in the environment, so that those instances can be subsequently targeted for inventory gathering. This question is not about that integration; I'm looking for experiences with custom integrations that extract data from OEM about Oracle software that is installed on computers and import that data as software inventory into FlexNet.)

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
(9) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Although not having any customers running OEM right now, I would still be very interested.

I would also be interested, i know it's been a while since this idea was posted. We you able to connect to OEM?

mag00_75
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion
For me to understand, are you looking for anyone that import like hw/sw inventories from OEM that uses like the configuration management pack?
Or are you looking for those that use the normal fnms agent to perform the inventory of the OEM database to catch enable option/mgmnt packs?

Hi, I am looking for instructions on how to setup the fnms agent to catch enable option/mgmnt packs. Any pointers will be much appreciated.

You don't normally have to do too much to have the agent gather Oracle Database option details as part of its regular inventory gathering.

Here is a helpful references to learn more about how the agent gathers details about Oracle Database and related software: Agent-Based Collection of Oracle Inventory.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

That's great. I will review the ndi file and check it returns the DB options the OEM server manages remotely on other DB. This solves a large deployment problem and avoid having to scan each oracle DB locally. Also, I haven't found much description in the doc regarding this capability and I only found doc on OEM generating the tnsname.ora which still require us to scan locally on each DB which takes a lot effort as DB existence is hard to track. Thanks again.

You need to scan/inventory both the ordinarry databases and the oem database. Then fnms will correlate the data so you can see which options have been activated locally or through oem

Got it. Thanks. Does the agent need the beacon to discover the SID first or does it figure it out locally from looking into the File path? I couldn't quite figure out if it pulls the discovery data from the beacon or the agent can figure out the oracle DB on its own and knows it all. I assume we would still need to have the DBA to run the create_oracle_audit_user.sql  ahead of the scan? And is the same script for OEM server as well as the individual DB?

Or are you looking for those that use the normal fnms agent to perform the inventory of the OEM database to catch enable option/mgmnt packs?