cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software usage metering data based on dll possible?

oqueck
By Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran
Hi, we are collecting software usage metering data successfully already, but until now only based on executable files like *.exe. Would it also be possible to collect software usage metering data based on DLL's? In our case the usage case is to find out how many MWP users are out there accessing following DLL: C:\windows\SysWOW64\msxml4.dll Thanks & best regards Oliver
(2) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The Microsoft SysInternals tools ListDLLs and Process Explorer will help give insight into DLLs loaded by processes on a single device. If you wanted to gather data across a set of devices you would need to find some way to automate the execution of a command like the following and gather the return data centrally for analysis:

listdlls.exe -d msxml4.dll
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Do not believe FNMS can do it. If you have a centrally administered anti-virus solution, have them set a monitoring and report rule on the file. You may need to weed out the accesses of the regular virus scan and the FNMS inventory of the machine but it should tell you who is accessing the file. Then you have to figure out which applications are calling it. 🙂