cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several Publisher Names

Dear Community, 

I was wondering of there is any "quick fix" for Publisher Names. When creating my compliance report I can see that could be 1, 2 or 3 Publishers with the same name or typo error.

What would you do to sort this? Would you do it at the Purchase level? 

Several Publisher Names.JPG

Many thanks, 

Victor.

A. MacBeath
(1) Solution
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Victor,

Yes, Purchase level is where I usually fix such things. Assuming you have FNMS on prem, here would be the quick & dirty approach if you have access to the database:

• Check table "Vendor" and find the duplicate entries
  • Note VendorIDs of the ones you want to get rid of and the one you want to keep
  • Update the VendorIDs in the "PurchaseOrder" table accordingly
  • After removing all references, you might also remove the duplicate entries

If you have FNMS Cloud, you will have to stick to a Business Import to update your PO data. Also, the Business Import might be a better maintainable solution, if you think this problem is going to occur repeatedly.

Best regards,

Markward

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Victor,

Yes, Purchase level is where I usually fix such things. Assuming you have FNMS on prem, here would be the quick & dirty approach if you have access to the database:

• Check table "Vendor" and find the duplicate entries
  • Note VendorIDs of the ones you want to get rid of and the one you want to keep
  • Update the VendorIDs in the "PurchaseOrder" table accordingly
  • After removing all references, you might also remove the duplicate entries

If you have FNMS Cloud, you will have to stick to a Business Import to update your PO data. Also, the Business Import might be a better maintainable solution, if you think this problem is going to occur repeatedly.

Best regards,

Markward

Thanks Markward!

Agree. I am using FNMS Cloud which i don't have access to the data base and cleaning from there, when importing if you have a spelling mistake this automatically will create a vendor that might not exist.

At this stage I will do it at the purchase level.

Appreciate and agree with your reply.
A. MacBeath

@Victor_MacBeath  - One method that is used to ensure that consistent Publisher Names are imported into FNMS from your purchase data would be to:

1) Take the purchase data to be imported into FNMS and load it into a SQL Staging database

2) Within the SQL Database, normalize all of the Publisher Names to a consistent value that exists in FNMS

3) Write a Business Adapter that reads from the staging database and uploads the purchase data to FNMS.

Another option to prevent extra publisher names from being created in FNMS:

1) Change the Business Adapter so that for the Publisher Name matching, DO NOT create a new vendor in FNMS if the imported publisher name does not exist in FNMS

2) This would require that you monitor new purchases that are imported into FNMS and look for blank publisher names and assign the correct publisher name within the UI.

The last option (which in reality is probably not possible) would be to clean up all of the publisher names in the original source of data that is providing the Purchase Data to be imported into FNMS