cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle VM Manager Service API Calls

Hello,

When integrating with Oracle PCA, my understanding that there are two kinds of integrations needed.

• Integration with the Oracle VM Manager web services in order to enable full capacity calculations.
  • Install inventory agent locally on VM hosts in order to enable subcapacity calculations.

When integrating with Oracle VM Manager, may I have the following please -

• Full requirements to provide to the administrators.
  • Documentation of what API calls are made.
    • This need not be an elaborate discussion, a declaration of the webservice area being hit and the actual API being consumed alongwith a two-liner of description of what information is returned and how it is used.
    • If this information can be supplied in a tabular format, even better.

We will need these artifacts to structure our solution and pass any security reviews.

Regards,
Pushkar

(4) Replies
Will it be more appropriate to create a support case?

Hi.  Struggling to get Oracle PCA sub capacity measurements configured.  Did you get your issue resolved?  Could you share some information?

Many thanks

Annette

Annette,

Because there were no responses on the question, a support case was created automatically. It was acknowledged that the documentation is lacking in this area and I haven't needed to check if it was updated. As further deliberations occurred, the PCA integration was removed from scope so we got out of it but the artifacts requested remained unavailable.

The following pieces of useful information was provided, however.

The most detail I've found in previous cases is that READ permissions are required for all objects on the Oracle VM API.
My thinking would be this could be potentially restricted further, but I'd need the insight of the Engineering team there.

API Function NameUsage
loginProvides authentication information to connect to the Web Service API
logoutLogs out of the Web Service connection at the end of each Session
managerGetInfo or managerGet depending on OVM versionReturns Manager object, which represents the Oracle VM Manager itself. This may be used to retrieve the VM Manager instance's current state, active time, UUID and version.
clusterGetAllReturns a list of all Clusters available in the VM Manager; this can be used to retrieve individual Cluster timeout, File system IDs, heartbeat devices, associated servers, and the associated server pool.
serverPoolGetAllProvides a list of all Server Pools; A grouping of associated Servers and VMs that may run on this server (also includes Affinity Groups). This can be used to gather data on Affinity Groups, the default keymap used for VMs in this Server Pool, settings such as whether Secure VM Migration is in use, associated VMs (assigned and unassigned) and the Server Pool's associated Zone if applicable
serverGetAllReturns a list of all Servers, outlining Access Groups, the agent login account, BIOS information, Cluster information for that Server, hardware and CPU information, network information e.g. hostname and IP address, the current status of the server, version information for Oracle VM, network IDs, hosted VM and serial number information
vmGetAllReturns all associated VMs. Can bee used to outline VM 'hardware', software and current VM status information, including Operating System information, allocated memory, communication information for said VM, and that VM's state
serverPoolPolicyGetAllReturns all Server Pools' policy information; the ServerPoolPolicy controls DPM/DRS behaviour for VMs, based on processor usage - this can be used to confirm whether these settings are enabled, how often this is examined, which Servers are incorporated into this policy, policy modes and how the DPM/DRS is configured
ethernetPortGetAllLists all associated Ethernet ports; outlines IP Addresses, MAC information, the state and type of these ports, the associated Server of said ports, and interface information.

Much appreciated, thank you!