cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Inventory Problem when first run inventory agent after installation

Hi All,

I'm using FNMS2019R2's inventory agent version of 14.0.0.0 and just installed agent on target machine such as Windows Server, HP-UX, AIX, Linux and Solaris SPARC. FNMS Application server was deployed but I need to ship .ndi.gz file via email not by network because of some security reason.

so I used commandline for running agent to build inventory file(ndi.gz) as following

- Unix like system: /opt/managesoft/libexec/ndtrack -o InventoryType=Machine -o UserInteractionLevel=Quiet

- Windows Server: C:\Program Files (x86)\ManageSoft\Tracker\ndtrack.exe -o InventoryType=Machine -o UserInteractionLevel=Quiet

after running this commandline then, machine inventory file ndi.gz was built on each uploads\Inventories folder but no more Oracle Inventory file were not built.

in the document of "GatheringFlexNetInventory.pdf", For making Oracle Inventory, Need copying InventorySetting.xml file but I didn't understand perfectly. anyone who can help me to gather Oracle Inventory as this way?

Regards,

gotqcorp

(1) Solution
Any InventorySettings.xml file should be compatible with any agent version. (Really old agent versions don't use the file at all - but I don't expect you are using a very old agent.)
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

You are going down the right path here. If the agent is able to connect to a beacon and it is operating normally then the agent will automatically download latest "InventorySettings.xml" file updates which contain instructions for the agent to gather (amongst other things) Oracle Database inventory. However if the agent cannot connect to a beacon then this file won’t be automatically downloaded, and you will need to make your own arrangements to get the file copied to the client computer.

You can find a copy of the current InventorySettings.xml file to use on a beacon in the C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Beacon\InventorySettings Directory.

If the agent is fully installed on the client computer, the InventorySettings.xml file you take from a beacon should be copied to:

• C:\Program Data\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Tracker\InventorySettings\ on Windows
  • /var/opt/managesoft/tracker/inventorysettings on UNIX-like operating systems

If you are running ndtrack in a standalone manner (that is, without the agent fully installed), the InventorySettings.xml file should be placed in the same directory as the ndtrack executable (or ndtrack.sh or FlexeraInventoryScanner.exe - depending on which executable you are using for your scenario).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thank you so much for replying, one more question if you don't mind.

- Can any property of inventorysettings.xml be changed or added by FNMS Web UI?(e.g. port number)

- Can you please share sample InventorySettings.XML file which can discover and gather Oracle Inventory?

Regards,

gotqcorp

The InventorySettings.xml file doesn't contain port numbers and the like, and can't be edited. Much of the content of the file is encrypted, so inspecting the file is not necessarily that helpful.

To avoid sharing an example of the file in a public forum such as this, it would be best for you to get a copy of the file that applies to your own environment from the C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Beacon\InventorySettings directory on one of your beacons.

Thank Chris so much for quick answer. Then, the last question I have is "is InventorySettings.xml file copied from old FNMS version compatible with newest version of FNMS agent?"

Regards,

gotqcorp

Any InventorySettings.xml file should be compatible with any agent version. (Really old agent versions don't use the file at all - but I don't expect you are using a very old agent.)