cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory upload fails host name look up failed

I have a bit of an odd problem I'm struggling to find a solution on.

We have an agent installed on a server, the agent has downloaded its policy from the beacon, the agent has inventoried the server but can't upload the inventory to the beacon, you get "Error 0xE0500005: Host name lookup failed".

The beacon server is called ABCbeacon but due to security reasons we have to use an Alias for the agent URL of XYZbeacon  however i can't see this being an issue as the URL's resolve and the policy downloads.

If I try and access the XYZBeacon.com/ManagesoftDL and RL pages they are accessible.

There is a Proxy server on the server that the team who manage insist isn't causing the problem although i can't prove otherwise. 

Has anyone done this before and can point me to something i maybe missing.

(2) Replies

It looks like name resolving issue, have you tried IP-Address to see if it works. you can do it by manually updating the upload  settings registry key host name value with IP-Address or the actual hostname not  alias.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Common\UploadSettings

and kick off upload to see if it works.

Hi @DuncBurr ,

I suspect that the issue is due the alias using. When you install the agent, I assume that you use the alias of the beacon in the configuration file, after that when the agent is done installing he will download the policy and list of the fail over servers, doing that he will download the name of the beacon, in this way he will no longer use the alias. 

Maybe you can modify the hosts file on the server, and force the server to use the alias. 

I encountered this issues with server that don't have the dns configured and I used the local hosts files to translate this.