cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Application vs. Flexera ARL

We created a Local Application for a new release of commercial software. What happens if Flexera creates the same software and it downloads to our ARL database? Will they merge if they have the same evidence recognition? what should I expect to see happen.
(1) Solution

Hi, important thing to note: the Reconciliation process will check if the same Evidence can point to several Applications (your custom one and the Flexera one for example). If it happens, then there is an Alert of "Overlapping applications".

Extract from the online Help: "Sometimes a single evidence record might be assigned to several software applications. If so, a red alert symbol displays next to the name of each affected application.Important: Overlapping applications associated with the same evidence may lead to conflicting results during application recognition. It is best practice to review and resolve these alerts as soon as possible. ..."

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
In this scenario I think you will end up with both your locally configured application record, as well as the record published by Flexera. If both applications have overlapping recognition rules which result in them being recognized as installed, the system with show both applications as installed. If both applications are linked to a license record, then consumption will be counted according to the settings on the license record - typical settings for a simple device-based license type would result in the computer only consuming 1 license (since consumption is based on counting the device, not counting the number of application installations).
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Exactly what cgrinton said, you end up with duplicate applications and the only way would be to clean up manually/develop custom procedures in your company.
The main issue is that you see duplicate entries in install details reports which can mean completely wrong numbers if someone just looks at the totals.
This is why we now try to request as much as possible from Flexera (usually takes a month or two to get processed) and only create local applications when we need them quickly. I suppose this is in general the preferred way, it avoids cleanup trouble and duplicate efforts across different companies. My understanding is that this data is also submitted automatically if you are using their cloud hosting solution (not on premises).

Hi, important thing to note: the Reconciliation process will check if the same Evidence can point to several Applications (your custom one and the Flexera one for example). If it happens, then there is an Alert of "Overlapping applications".

Extract from the online Help: "Sometimes a single evidence record might be assigned to several software applications. If so, a red alert symbol displays next to the name of each affected application.Important: Overlapping applications associated with the same evidence may lead to conflicting results during application recognition. It is best practice to review and resolve these alerts as soon as possible. ..."