cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License consumption of lower priority

All,

I have a situation in FNMS where a device is consuming a license with lower priority.

In the assessment it says:

Lic consumed (Prio 2): Allocation of a license entitlement to this device triggers automatic consumption.

Lic not assessed (Prio 1): The license was not assessed, because the device or user has consumed from a higher priority license, or has an allocation from another license.

See attachment.

Can someone help?

(1) Solution

Hello all,

I might have been encountered some of the quirks of Flexera FNMS.

I have removed the purchase order of the License with corporate unit "X".

In the purchase order I increased the purchase quantity with 100%.

I processed the purchase order and linked it to the License with corporate unit "X".

After a Reconcile I checked the consumption of both licenses.

They were all okay! Also the License with corporate unit "X" was consuming from the right devices (all of corporate unit "X"). 

Flexera FNMS is now handling as expected.

Hereafter I did the same steps shown above to correct the purchase quantity (minus 100%).

After the Reconcile, the consumption is still correct (meaning as expected according the Flexera documentation).

I now am only wondering if the step of increasing the purchase quantity with 100% was necessary. This I don't know, but I am happy that my problem is solved.

Remaining only, thanking you all for your support!

View solution in original post

(8) Replies
jevans
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Good morning Harry, I hope you're well?

This is expected behaviour, if you have the License allocated to this device or user.
From the Online Help:
"Allocated — The standard type of allocation, indicating that this installation (of the application linked to the license) is given top priority in consuming entitlements from this license, and cannot consume from other licenses, even though they may be linked to the same application."

https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/index.html#topics/Allocated-LicProp.html

What's your intended behaviour here?
I'm curious as to why we have a License allocated to this device or user, but it sounds like your goal is to consume the other License? 

Best regards,
Jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reaction.

Both Licenses have in the “Use rights & rules”, the selection “Allocations consume license entitlements” off (so, not on).
In the “Consumption” tab the device is not explicitly allocated
The allocation is done via the same “Installed” Application.

Remark: 1 license is also restricted to one Corporate Unit and Group assignment (and higher prio), still the consumption is done by the other.

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,

[Atos logo]

Harry Klees
Software License Manager – IDM BTN CO NL SCA Vendor Mgt
M: +31 (0) 6 30186586
Flight Forum 3000 – 5657 EW Eindhoven – The Netherlands
atos.net
[LinkedIn icon][Twitter icon] [Facebook icon][Instagram icon]

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, Atos’ liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted. On all offers and agreements under which Atos Nederland B.V. supplies goods and/or services of whatever nature, the Terms of Delivery from Atos Nederland B.V. exclusively apply. The Terms of Delivery shall be promptly submitted to you on your request.

@Harry007 - Some of the reasons that I can think of that the installation is consuming against the second license would be:

1 - The Device/User is allocated against the second license
2 - The Corporate Unit linked to the Device/User is different that the Corporate Unit that you have restricted the first license with
3 - The Device/User does not have a Corporate Unit assigned, so it is consuming against License 2 that does not have a restriction
4 - The first license is fully consumed and therefore FNMS is starting to consume against the second license

Hello kclausen,

Thanks for your reaction.
Your option 1, 2, and 3 is not the case.

I am not sure if option 4 is the case.

We have 1 device and 1 license (License X) with corporate unit “X”.
We have set in this license, the restriction and group assignment to corporate unit “X”.
We have devices with no corporate unit defined.
We have another license (License Y) to cover these devices.
Both licenses are not set with the use & right rules option “Allocation consumes a license”.
An application with downgrade rights shows multiple installed.
In all applications we have set the priority to the license with corporate unit “X”.
The assumption is that all devices with corporate unit “X” where the application is installed will only consume the license with corporate unit “X”.
BUT:
The license Y is consuming more than the purchased entitlements, but it is set as “Subject to Thrue-up”.
License X has no consumption at all.

What do I miss?

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,

[Atos logo]

Harry Klees
Software License Manager – IDM BTN CO NL SCA Vendor Mgt
M: +31 (0) 6 30186586
Flight Forum 3000 – 5657 EW Eindhoven – The Netherlands
atos.net
[LinkedIn icon][Twitter icon] [Facebook icon][Instagram icon]

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, Atos’ liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted. On all offers and agreements under which Atos Nederland B.V. supplies goods and/or services of whatever nature, the Terms of Delivery from Atos Nederland B.V. exclusively apply. The Terms of Delivery shall be promptly submitted to you on your request.
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The "Allocation of a license entitlement to this device triggers automatic consumption" assessment reason shown in the screenshot suggests to me that the inventory device is allocated to the license - this assessment reason wouldn't make sense without an allocation.

Are you sure a sneaky allocation hasn't crept in somewhere?

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

All,

Maybe next information will help to explain in detail what I tried to achieve.

It is part of the Flexera Help documentation, subject "Restrictions tab":

-----------------

If, instead, you want to enforce that computers in India should first consume from License For India, use group assignments. These change the priority ordering, but only for the target groups.

If you want both outcomes, that Indian computers consume from License For India and no one else may do so, use both group assignment and a restriction. The group assignment changes the priority (for the target groups) so that the example now becomes:
The full set of licenses for MyApp, in priority order (shown for a computer in India)
License For India (restricted to location India and its children, plus group assignment)
License A
License C
An installation for a computer outside India sees only this list to choose from:
License A
License C
An installation for a computer inside India sees the full list to choose from:
License For India (restricted to location India and its children, plus group assignment)
License A
License C
Now, because the group assignment elevated the priority (for this group), Indian computers consume from License For India until it is exhausted, and then switch to License A. Because of the restriction, outside computers start consuming from License A.

--------------

Read for "India", my corporate unit "X" then you have my situation.

All devices with corporate unit "X" should consume the license with corporate unit "X" (License X).

All other devices should consume another license (License Y). License Y has no corporate unit defined.

Both licenses (X and Y) have the same applications due to up- and downgrade rights.

License X has prio 1 and License Y has prio 2.

For both licenses, in the Use rights & rules, the "Allocations consume license entitlements" is not set. Meaning the consumption should be defined by the "Installed" applications.

The result is that a device with corporate unit "X" consumes License Y.

My question is: Why?

Along the lines of the ideas that @kclausen suggested earlier, a couple of situations where license Y would likely be consumed in the configuration that you have described are:

1. If the device is allocated to license Y (as I noted previously, the message in the screenshot suggests there may an allocation configured in your case).
  2. If there are no spare entitlements on license X.

A key point to consider is that there is nothing in the configuration of licenses here that says the installation of the software on the computer cannot be covered by License Y. License Y is still a valid license to cover installations in corporate unit "X" under the conditions I've described (and likely other conditions too).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hello all,

I might have been encountered some of the quirks of Flexera FNMS.

I have removed the purchase order of the License with corporate unit "X".

In the purchase order I increased the purchase quantity with 100%.

I processed the purchase order and linked it to the License with corporate unit "X".

After a Reconcile I checked the consumption of both licenses.

They were all okay! Also the License with corporate unit "X" was consuming from the right devices (all of corporate unit "X"). 

Flexera FNMS is now handling as expected.

Hereafter I did the same steps shown above to correct the purchase quantity (minus 100%).

After the Reconcile, the consumption is still correct (meaning as expected according the Flexera documentation).

I now am only wondering if the step of increasing the purchase quantity with 100% was necessary. This I don't know, but I am happy that my problem is solved.

Remaining only, thanking you all for your support!