cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM - MSU License metric

License name: IBM Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for System z Millions of Service Units per Hour

Metric of the license is MSU but when license is been created in Flexera, metric has been applied as Custom Metric based on the SKU. 

Do we have an option to calculate MSU based license consumption data in Flexera? I doubt, do we need to apply RVU metric in place of MSU? 

(1) Solution

@aishwarya_t  - FlexNet Manager does not have any native support for the Mainframe, neither Inventory or License Consumption.  This is why the metric is created as a Custom Field.  You would need a tool that does Mainframe Discovery/Inventory to calculate the MSU Consumption and enter this value into the Custom Metric license in FlexNet.

View solution in original post

(4) Replies

@aishwarya_t  - FlexNet Manager does not have any native support for the Mainframe, neither Inventory or License Consumption.  This is why the metric is created as a Custom Field.  You would need a tool that does Mainframe Discovery/Inventory to calculate the MSU Consumption and enter this value into the Custom Metric license in FlexNet.

tivens
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi @aishwarya_t 

As Kirk notes - FNMS cannot inventory the Mainframe.

So the Custom Metric license type is used as a default - allowing manual consumption to be populated, which is relevant for MSU licensed programs.

But - FNMS can help convert manually confirmed MSU consumption into VUE (Value Unit Exhibit) license consumption using VUE (managed under RVU type) points rule tables where your  IBM Mainframe licenses are licensed on a VUE metric.

For further details I recommend you read the 'Appendix 1: Managing IBM Mainframe Licenses' in the FNMS 'IBM Best Practice' guide available in the Learning Center

https://learn.flexera.com/series/flexera-practice-guides/ibm-practice-guide

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
Unable to find VUE for IBM Db2 for z/OS Data Gate 1.1.0.0 in IBM License information portal.

MSUs will be 4000 and to convert MSU to VUE, I have exhibited below options in Flexera. Referred Appendix 1 in IBM Best Practice guide
License type: RVU
Metric: Value units
Resources consumed: 4000
Point Rule Set: ?? This is not automatically suggested by Flexera.
Application name: IBM Db2 for z/OS Data Gate 1.1.0.0

@aishwarya_t The IBM Db2 for z/OS Data Gate 1.1.0.0 in the License Information Document and Announcement letter (links below) show this is not licensed on MSU / VUE but instead licensed on Virtual Processor Cores (as defined in the LID).

License Information Doc (LID)

https://www-03.ibm.com/software/sla/sladb.nsf/lilookup/1D5B0473A31A3BA485258569007CE797?OpenDocument

Announcement Letter

https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=AN&subtype=CA&htmlfid=897/ENUS220-115&appname=lenovous&language=en

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)