cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM Bundling with Device of license's supporting programs only and different license type

Hi all

I'm having a challenge with bundling of the primary product with UVU based license metrics. Products database resides on a dedicated server and there is no install of the primary UVU based product. Database application is a PVU based install. 

I have not managed to get that database to get allocated to the primary product. If I go the database's application view in FNMS, UVU license do not appear. 

If I try to allocate the license in device view of the db server, UVU based licenses do not show up, they are somehow pre-filtered. Probably, because there are no UVU based application install on that device.

In a primary programs license view I can allocate only users...

I miss something, dont I?

My 2 cent tip: Exemption is an allocation, it might prevent bundling allocations. If applications is consuming wrong license do not exempt it there.  Go the correct license where you want it and allocate it and check license priorities in the application's view.

(1) Solution

It is really hard to reflect bundled products on different devices in Flexera FNM. Bundeling on one device is very clear and easy to realize in license containers. You can allocate additional devices but only in license objects that support device-allocation. Within a user-based license this will not be possible. 

What we have done: create additional "fake" license objects with a clear naming convention to identify them as "bundled products". Not very fancy but it helps to cover those cases.

View solution in original post

(6) Replies

Hi weskus,

If the license type is IBM User Value Unit, it functions like an user license.
It will need to be linked to calculated user or assigned user of a device rather than linking to the actual device.

Yesh but its component is db2 and on a different device. Where do i assign that db2?

That is actually what a bundling is. Components can be in different devices!

Vesa Saarenpää
Lisenssipalvelut

It is really hard to reflect bundled products on different devices in Flexera FNM. Bundeling on one device is very clear and easy to realize in license containers. You can allocate additional devices but only in license objects that support device-allocation. Within a user-based license this will not be possible. 

What we have done: create additional "fake" license objects with a clear naming convention to identify them as "bundled products". Not very fancy but it helps to cover those cases.

This is what I ended up doing. It's a only workaround I came across.  Not nice, but works.

So, IBM Bundling capabilitues in FNMS should be developed further.

Indeed, especially when you order an addon (blade) that suggests a publisher-wide coverage.

On your main bundled license, what is the License Metric and on the Use Rights of the license, is DB2 listed as a Primary or Secondary product?

If DB2 is secondary and the metric is PVU, then you should be able to "Allocate" the device where DB2 is installed against the bundle license and that install of DB2 will be consumed against your bundle license with consumption of 0 since it is a secondary product.